Jet main bearings

ski4life65
ski4life65 Expert Adviser
Any idea where to get main bearings for a Jet?

Comments

• Packard Industries in N.J. They are hard to find, and you may have to turn the crank to fit whatever bearings you come up with.
  • You might also try Lester Harris in Nevada.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I was told by Dr Doug the engine bearings for the Jet 202 are non existent. They have to be made. Good luck in finding what you need. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They are the same dimension as the larger engines, apart from length.   Is there a possibility of simply shortening them?
  • Packard Industries is also known as Kanter. Their catalog has them listed at $250.00/ set, (limited stock). 800 526 1096.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    I have long suspected the parts of the 202 were parts used in the larger engines. Hudson was trying to save money at that time and cutting corners. Why develop something new when you already have it. The 202 looks to be a recast of the 8 block. The give away is the intake ports. It has 4 intake ports. Four cylinders are have a shared port and 2 cylinders have individual ports. They chopped two cylinders out of the center of the 8 block. It took Dale Cooper over a year to find me bearings for my engine. One will have to take what you can find. Harris and Kanter does not have any the last time I checkes.  Keep looking some will turn up somewhere. Good Luck.  LHud
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That is a myth.  The 202 was a completely different engine, newly developed.   The only relationship to the eight was the bore size and the connecting rod length, which is tenuous to say the least.  There are three inlet ports on the 202, and n o similarity in the castings at all.    The Jet main bearings are the same diameter, but shorter in length as the  bigger motors.  
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Intake manifold for the 202.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Point taken, but there is absolutely no resemblance between this and an eight cylinder manifold. On the eights the  larger portion  of the manifolding is  within the block and the  exhaust manifold sits on top of the block.  The 202 was a completely new engine, and a good one, but it just did not fit in  with the  times.