Cowl Vent Airflow Questions - '53 Hornet

Hudson_in_Seattle
edited July 2018 in HUDSON
hey guys - my cowl vent appears to operate fine, but no air gets directed up to the windshield? i only feel air coming from under the dash - is this correct? any advice would be most appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The heater has sliding panels that must be closed to direct air flow out the defroster tubes. 
  • thanks - the heater knob is in the up position - it is stuck, so i think that's the up position! the heater motor doesn't work - i haven'y trouble shot this yet - more info/advice would be most appreciated!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Check the inline fuse for the fan motor.
  • where is the inline fuse? i can't seem to find it! any photos would be great! thanks
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The fuse holder is plastic and has a metal mounting tab that fits over and hold fast to the sheet metal under the dash.  The wiring is simple.... from the circuit breaker through the switch which is a rheostat and on through the fuse to the heater box

• Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited July 2018
    i am confused - does fresh air flow to the windshield when the cowl is open or not? this is independent of the fan motor - where are the heater sliding panels? how do you open and close them? thanks
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I do not have a copy of the 1953 owners manual, but I believe the page captures from the 1054 manual will provide the information you desire.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
     pictures of the weather control motor
    and vent control.  Installed below heater radiator which is mounted on the bottom of the vowel vent air box.  The white knob on left side of weather control shuts off or modulates the air coming from the side of the box. The amount of engine heated water that flows through the heater radiator is set by sliding temp control on the dash.  This control opens and closes the firewall mounted RNco valve.  This is then automatically controlled by the actions of the capillary tube which is mounted to the Ranco valve.  The ending the tube is inserted into the box where its operation is affected by the air temperature inside the box.  The manual notes how the controls are used to effect flow through and motor assisted support for windshield air flow. 
  • Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited July 2018
    thanks - this makes a lot more sense, although i still can't find the inline fuse - the heater works fine - my knob is stuck in the up position, which seems to be the wrong direction, per the above manual instructions! - any advice on how to unstick that knob? - hopefully, i can trouble shoot the fan issue - thanks again!
  • ok! after i bunch of constructive time expended, i managed to free to vent knob, so mission accomplished there - i also managed to trouble shoot the electrics: no problems anywhere except at the fan motor, which i believe has failed - i also did not see any inline fuse, which might be partially to blame, as well as the 12v conversion, as to the status of the fan motor! so now, i need to figure out how to remove the fan to repair or to replace? - any suggestions would be most appreciated! thanks again!
  • I just went through this on my 46 pickup 12 volt conversion.  The inline fuse was in a metal fuse holder attached to the side of the heater box.  Ken U gave me the modern part # for a 12 volt motor that went right in. I got it from O’Reillys auto parts. Less than $20.  Ed
  • please provide that part# if you have it - how did you install? - there are screws on the bottom of the heater, if that's correct? thanks
  • thanks for your post - i would really like to get the part number on the 12v replacement motor for the blower fan - please let me know asap - thanks!
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2018

Numbers from earlier posts. Understand you need to cut the shaft off about 3/4" but you should know that when you compare the two. Note that I have not used these fans before.

VDO or Murray PM354, or Everco / 4 Seasons 35776 is the part number to request. Have to trim the mounting studs and cut off the excess shaft length.

• thanks so much - i have followed up out here in the greater seattle area with 4 different shops - each said, "sorry, the gentleman who used to repair those passed away, and there's no one who has taken his place" maybe it's the same guy!? i'll follow up - where's Ken U? thanks again
  • All you do is buy and install?  Ken and many others are at the Hudson meet.
  • thanks again - uggh! that's the sound i made when i couldn't remove the fan from the motor after removing the worm screw that i thought held it on the shaft - i don't want to bend the fan blades pulling this off - i tried to loosen the mounting nuts and bolts, but that didn't seem to work, so i stopped to ask for more advice - thanks!