Info Needed for “b pillar” Switch(es) for Rear Interior Courtesy Lights – ’53 Hornet

Hi – my ’53 hornet has rear courtesy interior lights, with 1 controlling switch on the passenger side “b pillar” that turns them on and off

– Is there supposed to be a similar switch on the driver’s side "b pillar"?

I will soon install 3 point retractable seat belts – on an exploratory mission, when I pulled back the driver’s side “b pillar” upholstery, I could see two wires running up and down

- Is this where the driver’s side switch should be?

- If so, are there any sources for a spare switch?

Any info would be most appreciated!!! – thanks for looking

Comments

• To my knowledge, only the passenger side of my 54 coupe has a switch.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    I have those switches. Also, the wires you saw on the driver side would likely be for the 'B' pillar courtesy light.  There were no switches for the rear quarter lights on the driver side they were only on the  passenger side.
  • Lance said:
    Also, the wires you saw on the driver side would likely be for the 'B' pillar courtesy light.  There were no switches for the rear quarter lights on the driver side they were only on the  passenger side.
    is this courtesy light the one at the door sill? why do you think the factory used only one switch on the passenger side? thanks for all of these answers
  • Because when the car pulled up to the curb, a gentleman would open the door for the lady and allow her to enter first.  He would then seat himself, which would be on the passenger side.  A gentleman would also be expected to operate the light at the lady's behest.
  • thanks again - very helpful - i wonder why these lights aren't wired to turn on and off with the door courtesy lights? anyway, thanks
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited June 2018
    You can certainly wire them as you like. I have pale white LED strings above the foot rest in the rear and under the front portion of the front seat. They are hidden until someone opens a door at night then the front and rear floors are awash with soft light. Naturally they are connected to the door jamb switches !! Above is rear foot rest lite up~~
  • does the courtesy light only have one lens on each side facing rear?  Or is one an access hole?  They look similar and I am about to order new lenses from Eschelman

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Door door hinge post side only...one on back and one on the front door side of the pillar.  Each side of course....
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2022
    When you get your new lens you may want to consider LED lights for the interior. White/Bright !  My photo above shows the 'yellow' one before the LED !
    Here is an example of one replacing the 'yellow' one; and I have in the other interior lights also. 

• I hope no body minds but I’d like to piggy back a question on this about interior lighting in a 53. 
    I have a 53 hornet that has the “dome light” with the switch i over the dash , the light does not work and nor does the switch ( it’s really corroded/sticky) I can’t see anyway to pull these apart is there a secret method to this madness?
    -how does one change the bulb and service the headliner light ( I don’t have a headliner)?
    sorry if I stepped on any toes with this question
    -Blake
  • I hope no body minds but I’d like to piggy back a question on this about interior lighting in a 53. 
    I have a 53 hornet that has the “dome light” with the switch i over the dash , the light does not work and nor does the switch ( it’s really corroded/sticky) I can’t see anyway to pull these apart is there a secret method to this madness?
    -how does one change the bulb and service the headliner light ( I don’t have a headliner)?
    sorry if I stepped on any toes with this question
    -Blake
    I am working on that light also, the dome light lens & chrome cover just pulls off, then the housing has 4 screws holding it up.  I have mine hanging by a wire now (haven't figured out how to pull off the wire terminal yet)
  • Also install LED light; lower the current and see what you are trying to see.

• RichardD said:
    Also install LED light; lower the current and see what you are trying to see.

Lower the current?  How.  I usually just put in the LED bulbs
  • He means LEDs draw less current and are brighter whiter light. Very cool but I do like the soft warm light. 
  • I think that is one light I would prefer to be bright for one reason , night map reading .