mechanical fuel pump to electric fuel pump

Has anyone converted from mechanical fuel pump say for the year 1941 Hudson to a carter 6 volt electric fuel pump and if so was it a good idea and improvement. I am finding it hard to start my Hudson perhaps a pressure drop in the fuel pump not uncommon. do I buy a new mechanical or go electric. first step plug change.

Thanks Bernie

Comments

• I have a 46 pickup with straight running on just the small rotary type electric pump with the original pump blocked off.  I run a low pressure rotary electric pump 6 volt on my 29 with the updraft carb.
    no problems with either.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2018
    Some folks install the electric pump in addition to the mechanical pump, in a "bypass mode",  with a switch under the dash so that they can use the electric only when needed.  You might consider that (and someone could then suggest a method for installing).  This is especially helpful if you get vapor lock when the car's hot, and stall in traffic.

I own a 1937, and back in the 1970's I installed an electric pump and blocked off the opening in the block for the mechanical pump.  I'd had some problems and thought this would solve them.  The electric pump worked very satisfactorily. 

However, a few years later I got adventurous and went back to the electric pump (which I had someone rebuild).  I made a couple modifications to my carburetor too, hoping this would end my need for an electric pump.  These modifications included adding a metal deflector plate under the carb., and installing four fiber spacers above, and four below, the plate (for a total of 8 spacers; more than normal).  This helps isolate the carb from the manifold so it doesn't get hot.  I could have also wrapped both the metal fuel line (to the carb) and the exhaust pipe (in the vicinity of the carb) with heat-insulating material, in order to reduce the heat in the carb.  I chose not to do that.

That was over 30 years ago.  I never went back to the electric pump.  During that time I also had the carb completely rebuilt by a well-known company in Florida which made it work perfectly.  The only problem that I still have, is in "cold starting" after the car has sat for more than a couple days.  It might take me up to ten seconds for the starter to pump enough gas up into the carb to start the car.  Really, I don't consider that to be an inconvenience, and I attribute it to the Ethanol in gas, which makes the fuel evaporate from the carb quicker than old-time gasoline did.

So, I'm thinking that if you had the carb. rebuilt professionally (which you should do, anyway), and made a couple modifications (as I did) to reduce the heat in your carb, your '41 should run very well without the electric pump.  But as a backup, you could indeed consider installing an electric pump in a bypass mode, just in case.
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    edited June 2018

I have installed the rotary Vane 6 volt pump in both my 1937 and 1941.   Very pleased.

The fuel in carb seems to boil in summer if it has ethanol and the car would not start.  The electric fuel pump does not eliminate this but it does get the fuel to the carb quicker so the car will run.  I mounted the pump on the right ahead of the rear axle.  Use a fuel filter before pump and another at carb.   Use metal filters, no plastic for fire safety. Also I installed a fuel return line with a 3 nipple AMC fuel filter near the carb to facilitate.  When I removed the old fuel pump the hole can be covered with a Chevrolet fuel pump elimination cover if it is machined down.   Also opening the hood to allow the engine to cool when parking helps greatly!!!

• Thanks everyone so would you think it is possible that the mechanical pump is worn out some and is not working as it should is it a possibility  should I  replace the mechanical pump. I remember years ago you could buy rebuild kits for fuel pumps.
  • you may need a regulator as well. Electric can push out more than the old mechanical pumps. Might be fine but it can result in more carb servicing.