Removing 1947 dash gauge trim

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
i have the glass for the glove box and instruments removed.  It appears glass is held into the surround bezels by small soldered tabs.  It would seem to remove the trim from the glass melting the solder is the way to do this as trying to bend these tabs will likely crack the glass.  This is so the bezels can be replated with nickel.  The trim appears to be brass, then was plated, then the glass installed, then the tabs soldered to hold the glass in place.  Or is there another way that I am not aware of to accomplish this without ruining perfect glass?  Thanks for any suggestions, hints, or experience

Comments

• 40indianssgmailcom
    Well it looks as though no one on this forum has ever replated the trim on pre 48 Hudson dashboard gauge panels.   I guess I may be the first and expecting success
  • I have but the tabs weren't soldered. They were just folded over and super careful bending was all I needed to do. As you know, the glass is super fine and brittle. Be careful. Especially if its Commodore glass from a 46/7 as they are much harder to find.
  • Yes the tabs are just folded over. Be careful bending them and it will come apart. I lightly bead  blasted mine and then powder coated them. I used a silver metallic powder and they look great. I did both sides and the dome light trim.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Removed the trim today by carefully straightening the bent over tabs.  Total success.  The trim is a ferrous metal as are the tabs.  No solder involved but I think were brazed together then nickel plated and then glass installed.  Looking for small rubber gasket that protects the glass as the original is hardened and falling apart.  Should have plenty of time as the plating shop is often about 2-3 months.  Thanks to nerve center and Lklemm1 for sharing their experience