Could 3D printed parts ensure the longevity of the collector car hobby?

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/03/09/could-3d-printed-parts-ensure-the-longevity-of-the-collector-car-hobby/?refer=news

This process is making rapid advances. Hopefully soon the "affordable" capability will be available to print large parts for our collector cars.

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Its early days yet but 3D printing is potentially useful for reproducing pot metal items as an example, in many ways the printing capability is already available, and getting cheaper.
    The main barrier to home DIY at the moment is the availability of cheap easy to use systems that will scan a part (a tailight housing or lens, a mascot) and convert that information into a format that the 3D printer can use. Some systems are starting to appear where you can use the camera in your mobile phone as the scanning device.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    My son has a 3D printer here at home.  He took a drawing of WW1 Russian tank, scaled it himself from drawings and photos, put it into his simple 3D cad program and made an amazing reproduction.  I was quite impressed with the result.  It is coming, not here quite yet but probably 5 years give or take.  I don't know if your realize that that I believe 3 Aston Martin DB5s used in Skyfall were all 3D printed.  These obviously did not run but were used for the scenes where they destroyed the car.  One of them survived and was sold for $100K (wow a plastic prop car that did not even run!).
  • I have a file of the Twin H Power logo that I had made.  It's not really cost effective to print in metal - yet - but I was able to edit the emblem in the software until in reached perfection.  I can also email to anyplace in the world to be printed, such as a foundry who can print a plastic prototype and make a cast out of that.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I have a complete inside/outside scan of the R&C Hudson aluminum head designed by Rudy Bennett and Chuck Fellows. Hoping the technology cost will come down enough to help in casting new heads. The ability to produce the molds is already here, but cost about the same as present tech. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Someday you can probably buy whatever car you want from history, with whatever drive train you want it to have.  Want a '37 T pickup w/ 455 Buick V8, no problem......
  • All the schools I manage have 3D printers. So I use them. heck I have 5 yr olds useing them via ipads and basic clay like modeling apps to make pokemon faces and name tags.
    Also one of the Tech education centers I run has CNC engravers, etchers, laser cutters and other toys that I use.
    Thinking of using the 3D to do some bits then cast them my self in pot metal to get chromed.
    I use Solidworks for my cad. have been planning out my radiator shroud and gas tank for the hudson to then cut out.

A mate had his son 3D design and print off an intake that he took down to the foundry and got made up. twice... they didn't alow for shrinkage the first time.
    Know of another guy who 3D printed much of the shiny bits for the interior of his car then got the platic chromed.

There is a J lenno clip on Youtube and he goes into 3D printing of parts.

Tech is out there. Heap of free apps at all skill levels. you just need to give it a go.
    Oh and phone camera apps that take heaps of pics of an object can really be buggy. shiny objects can really throw them. even a glaze on a coffee cup. Hand held scanners are now under $100.

So stay tuned to my build and you may see laser cut sheet metal for gas tanks and shrouds then 3d printed custom dash and other parts cast in pot metal.