30 Essex Kingpins

stev1955
stev1955 Expert Adviser
Hello. I am in the process of replacing the kingpins on my 30 Essex as there was some movement of the kingpin in the axle knuckle. Does anyone know if the new locking pin should be made of hardened steel such as out of a grade 8 bolt or regular carbon steel? And any recommendations on how to shape it so it won't come loose? I don't see much talk on the internet about putting a lock back in, just how to get stuck one out. Thanks.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The lockpin is a round pin  with a tapered flat machined on one side, much like as used on bicycle cranks.  Just hammer it in tight, but make sure the king pin is aligned properly first.  Not important how hard the pin is.  
  • stev1955
    stev1955 Expert Adviser
    Alright Geoff I'll use what I have to make the pin, thanks.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The movement may also due to the hole in the knuckle no longer being round, which presents a different set of problems.
  • stev1955
    stev1955 Expert Adviser
    Yes Bob, the movement was not a loose locking pin but a slight little side-to-side play in the axle knuckle. I reamed the hole slightly bigger for a bigger kingpin to take care of that problem. Just putting it back together.