Electrical miss.

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
Sounds odd, but when I run my Commodore 8 with the head lights on the motor starts to miss. When I run with the lights off it runs fine.  What gives?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Voltage regulation is not working.  The generator may not be putting out sufficient current.  In my case the hi low beam switch was corroded and caused current loss to the lights 
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Voltage regulation is not working.  The generator may not be putting out sufficient current.  In my case the hi low beam switch was corroded and caused current loss to the lights 
    I was thinking the generator was suspect. I'll check out voltage regulator and dimmer switch too. Thanks.
  • Also check your grounds.
  • Per
    Per Member
    I think you have a poor connection in the wiring between the battery and the ignition switch and light switch.   A way to check this is to turn on the headlights (without the car running).  Wait several minutes.  Then start feeling each connection of the thin wires under the hood.  If there is a poor connection, that connection will be warm or hot.  If they are cool, reach for connections under the dashboard, in the vicinity of the light switch and the ignition switch.

Also, if an ammeter has been put in, check the connections to it.  I had a Pacemaker where an ammeter had been put in, using long, too thin wires.  It caused very low voltage when the headlights were on, but the engine was not turning fast.

If this turns up nothing, the problem may be a ground connection.  The original connection of the ground wire from the battery is to the bracket that supports the battery tray.  This provides a good connection from the battery to the body of the car.  At this point another ground strap (or thick wire) goes to the engine.  If the car has this arrangement, and the starter turns normally, the ground circuit is probably OK.

In many cars this connection has been changed, and the ground wire (from the + post of the battery) goes directly to the engine.  Sometimes no wire was put in going between the battery and the body of the car when this change was made.  This results in a poor connection, (through things like the gearshift linkage), which disrupts the operation of the voltage regulator, and can cause low voltage at the ignition when the headlights are on.

I hope this is helpful.

Per