6 volt electric fuel pump

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
Looking for recommendations for a 6 volt fuel pump for my step down. They're lots of options on ebay. 

Comments

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    I am a fan of the Carter (P 4259 I think) as its only a get fuel to the carb after sitting a while/backup/vapor lock pump. And the regular pump has no problem pulling fuel through it when its not on.
    Jeff
  • hudsonsplasher1
    edited June 2018
    jjbubaboy said:
    I am a fan of the Carter (P 4259 I think) as its only a get fuel to the carb after sitting a while/backup/vapor lock pump. And the regular pump has no problem pulling fuel through it when its not on.
    Jeff
    Sounds like what I'm looking for,where did you buy the Carter? 
  • The Carter needs a bypass. Yes, it does flow through at low demand, but I used to starve my engine out on hard pulls.  I ended up installing a bypass with a check valve to make it work the way it should (see image). Many places carry the Carter: Amazon, Summit Racing, Jegs, etc.

The Packard Club had a thorough discussion on this topic and led me to the check valve I needed:https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4511&start=10
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    NAPA also has one at less cost.
    NAPA Fuel Pumps
    PART #
    NNP B0110E
    Reserve Online Price
    (USD)
    $47.24 /Each
    Was $78.29
    Call Store for Availability

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    I use an AIRTEX  E8011 on my Terraplanes and '49 Hudson Super Six.  Been using them on my cars for a couple of decades.
    It is 6 volt and can be used on both positive & negative earth systems.
    I use it the same way as jjbubaboy and my mechanical pump has no problems in pulling the fuel through the Airtex (no by-pass needed).
    You can buy an Airtex E8011 on ebay, or most Auto shops in the States.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    gene, glen and i use napa got them from john pontius from his napa store. he gave us a great deal. i have them on 3 of my hudsons,no issues.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    gene, glen and i use napa got them from john pontius from his napa store. he gave us a great deal. i have them on 3 of my hudsons,no issues.
    Thanks Paul.