Going through the whole fuel system on my 54

how do I get ahold of Paul for a new fuel sender for my tank?

Comments

• Look in the roster.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Listed on my website- web addresss below:

Paul Schuster - New Parts for Hudsons 1934-57, Hudson Decals, Stepdown Mirrors, Fuel Tank Sending units (1936-57), Gas pedals for 55-57 Hudsons, Throttle parts, Carburetor Kits, Brake parts: Master Cylinders, Wheel Cylinders, Shoes and Brake hoses, Hudson tapered axle wheel bearings. Call Paul he has alot of parts.
    412 462-2058 / 412 855 6337 Address: 3560 York Street - Munhall Pa. 15120

• well I dropped the tank today to find where it was leaking. From the level sender seems it wasn’t tightened down from the previous person who tried changing it out. I also found a bee plugging up the pickup tube. 

• And and then I found this small hole halfway up the pickup tube. I’m sure that caused some headaches when the fuel wasn’t covering it anymore and it was able to suck air. 

This is why im going through all of it piece by piece. 

• The hornet in your Hornet was part of the "severe duty" racing package.  It's where they got the name "Twin H."  You should put it back!! ;-)
  • On a serious note, have you done anything to mitigate the affects of ethanol in your gas?  My '54 Hornet's fuel system was absolutely decimated by the "new gas" when they switched over a few years back.  My uncle had to rebuilt the whole fuel system as well.  Carbs have new "ethanol resistant" parts.  Some of the old steel lines can corrode as well.  Ethanol attracts moisture.  One way to combat it is to use Sta-Bil Marine in your gas - it's what I do.
  • Yeah that’s what I’m working on
  • Well it’s been a fun journey but I finally got it all sorted out I think ! time will tell. 

But heres what all i eneded up doing

1. Rebuilt twin wa-1’s
    2. Dropped tank and made a new fuel pickup. 
    3. Installed new fuel sender
    4. All new fuel lines
    5. Replaced fuel pump with AMC type

the fuel pump was the last thing I changed tonight. The rod that the arm rocks on had walked out and was only very slightly allowing it to pump. 
  • Here is the new fuel pump installed 
  • And the pump itself
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Do you plan to insulate the fuel feed line?  Looks like it is almost touching the exhaust manifold.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I installed on of those fuel pumps on a '49 super six, r.h.d., and the steering arm misses it by about 1/8".  
  • Do you plan to insulate the fuel feed line?  Looks like it is almost touching the exhaust manifold.
    It looks like that in the picture but it’s not even close to it at all. You get a better idea of it looking down from above it. 
  • I installed on of those fuel pumps on a '49 super six, r.h.d., and the steering arm misses it by about 1/8".  
    My power steering setup is behind the front crossmember. I don’t see any steering interference in my setup with it. 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited July 2018

Where the fuel line came from under the firewall I ran the line as close to the inner fender, over the hump and then turned and feed it straight into the carbs.  I have done this with all my Hudson's to keep the line away from the manifold. I had some problems with my first Hudson (1952 Hornet) with the hot temperatures, so this has been one of my choices to fix vapor lock.  Never had a problem since.....

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2018
    WOW; If I were installing a new line from ft to bk, I sure would put a fitted thermal sleeve over all of it; helps with vapor lock since the exhaust is on the same side. Even the air pipe going toward pump helps, I suppose; but never had a vapor lock, so who knows.
    Note> carb piping done before I got car, probably due to compressor.
  • Usually vapor lock is on the suction side of the pump. Not the pressure side. 

I have an electric fuel pump I could put in back at the tank. But until I actually experience vapor lock in this car I won’t worry about it. not going through the extra trouble for something that “ might “ be a problem. 
  • You are correct, but cooler gas is denser.  I do have electric pump at tank.
    I love to be ahead of anything; maybe I ran out of anything else to do, lol. Never had vapor lock in any old car, '31,'34, '53, & '65, think that is all I have now. I said 'if I were'. You already had.
    Instead, I insulated the exhaust that was close to gasoline line since I didn't run a new gas line.
    Photo example above !

• Pistonfarmer, 

I am looking for information on how you installed that glass bowl fuel filter.  I have a nice one I wanted to install, but wasn't able to source anything to attach it to the brass elbow on the front carb.  I've seen other setups that used some kind of nipple, but I wasn't able to find one that fit.  I tried making a very short piece that had inverted flares on both ends, but it was leaky, so I said the heck with it.

Your elbow looks different than mine, so maybe that's why you were able to find something that worked.  Do you have any links or part numbers to the elbow and nipple you used?  
  • Here is what my setup looks like now.  You can see the drastic bend I made away from the manifold... LOL.  I also insulated for good measure.  I have had vapor lock before, but it's not really an issue because I have an electric pump that I can use to combat it.  

But anyway, I was unable to find a nipple that would fit the inverted flare side of the brass elbow, and also the outlet of the glass bowl filter (1/8 NPT?)

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I use fittingsandadaptors.com.  They have a whole range of brass inverted flare stiff. 

Jay

• This was my ill-fated attempt at rigging up a short piece of line with flares on both ends.

• These are are the two fittings I used there and also an 1/8” close nipple. 
  • OK, I think I understand now.  You used a different T fitting than me, which has 1/8 FNPT fittings rather than the female inverted flares.  I'm able to screw my fuel line directly from the front carb T to the back carb (whereas you used an adapter).  However, to attach the fuel filter, I would need a nipple adapter which is 1/8 on one side, and a male inverted flare on the other side, which I don't think exists!

So to use the glass bowl filter I have, I'd have to make a new fuel line, buy and attach the new T fitting, adapters, and nipple, then keep my fingers crossed it doesn't leak...  Hmmm... Might wait on that one... LOL.
  • Yeah that pretty much covers it!

the should all be regular NPT fittings not NPTF sorry for that on the pic I showed. 
  • Guys, this is wonderfully helpful. I’m in the same situation.  Much appreciated.