Convert to hydramatic

looking to convert my 54 Hornet to an auto. What all steps are involved besides finding the hydro and shift linkage for the column?

Comments

• Your best bet is to buy a parts car and get everything from it.. That way you have everything in front of you, and switch parts from one to the other.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Hydramatic installation includes a removable crossmember that supports the transmission.  Removal of the steering column jacket as well as the linkage for shifting and carburetor will require change.  The recommendation from 29sptphaeton is spot on!  You will be ahead in many ways with a parts car!
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Removing the welded cross member and welding in hydramatic"ears". Changing shifter linkage. Replacing or modifying your drive line length. Changing the rear driveline bearing rubber mounts,Putting in hydramatic ebrake linkage. Switching starters. Putting in a neutral safety switch. Removing clutch pedal and associated hardware.Obtaining hydramatic transmission mounts.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Lotsa Fun!
  • I agree a parts car is the best way to go. They seem to be few and far between by me. Atleast I haven’t come across any yet. But I will keep a look out. If anyone has leads in the Pacific Northwest let me know 
  • Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    I agree a parts car is the best way to go. They seem to be few and far between by me. Atleast I haven’t come across any yet. But I will keep a look out. If anyone has leads in the Pacific Northwest let me know 
    Sent you a PM--guy in spokane has several 54 parts cars

• ^ thank you for the lead!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

Nobody mentioned it yet, but you also need to change the Rear End Ratio or you wont be able to go over 55 because the motor will be screaming...... It can be done though because ive converted a few Hudson's in the past......

• ^ that’s good to know!
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Ol Racer is correct. You need a 3:07 Dana / Spicer.
  • Quadster said:
    I agree a parts car is the best way to go. They seem to be few and far between by me. Atleast I haven’t come across any yet. But I will keep a look out. If anyone has leads in the Pacific Northwest let me know 
    Sent you a PM--guy in spokane has several 54 parts cars

all gone now :-(
  • Do I need a full-size or would a jet work for running gear parts?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Do I need a full-size or would a jet work for running gear parts?

Full size. 
     I have a complete 3:07 Dana out of a 52-53 Hornet, new seals, brake cylinders,painted and ready to install. Only problem ? it's in florida!
  • I’m assuming a wasp for a parts car for this switch would be fine. Or do I need to make sure it’s a Hornet ?
  • You need to make sure it's a Dana/Spicer 3:07 ratio. Does not matter if it came from a Wasp or a Hornet. Can't use a Jet rear end-too short .
  • So I bought a 53 parts hornet for my conversion;

• Think about pulling the nose off and swapping the sub frame instead of cutting and welding cross members. You can clean and paint the frame while the tranny is being rebuilt.

• I’ll keep my 54 thanks....

swapping the hydramatic in will not be a problem ive already looked at the crossmember and what I need to do to swap it. Very straight forward for myself I have plenty of fabrication, setup, and welding skills. 

And i I will be rebuilding the Hydramatic too. 

What i I do need to know is what the linkage looks like for a twin H setup for the hydramatic, this parts car is not a twin H setup and the linkage only goes as far as the mount on the side of the block by the starter. 
  • The Yak isn’t mine but it’s a good picture ?