Concerning Lubricant for rear axle and transmission for a 1941 Hudson

In the past some one had stated that I should use GL-1  for my car now it seems everyone I speak to to here back home do not know anything about ti and they tell me to just use 80-90 gl-5 gear lubricant. Can some one please tell me other than GL-1 is there another product that is a safe venture. I phoned shell Canada today and they tell me gl-1 or there product rotella tl-1 is useable but I should look for gl-1. problem is I can not find gl-1 in Ontario. Any ideas.

Thanks Bernie

Comments

• 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
     Look for the GL 1  at a oil distributer  or a Tractor Supply Store.    Chevron of Canada lists GL 1.     You will need to buy a pail,  and sell it off to friends as I do.    Older tractors use this product.
  • Valvolene makes a yellow metal safe gear  oil  ,in a blue quart jug,  talked with the valvolene tech, says it is god up to 100  viscosity.   I think that it is designated mlf on the jug, says on the back yellow metal safe. Just put it in the differential and the OD transmission on my '42 Hudson.
  • It is Valvoline MTF gear oil.
  • Thanks a lot Guys so what about penzoil 80-90 says it is a mineral axle oil would that be good as well. I could buy this a block away from me if it is good. The chevron stuff is available but over 200 miles away to costly. no one sells the Valvoline around my town either.

Thanks Bernie