Hornet #’s Matching Engine Value Adjustment?

Hi – I am still searching for a 52-53 hornet, sedan, twin-H, hydramatic – I have personally seen 4 hornets in the last 18 months – 2 had #’s matching engines – 2 did not – I am curious if/how much the value is effected for a non matching #’s engine on a hornet – thanks for looking - b

Comments

• I think Hudsons are generally less affected by this than other makes.  The key factor is, does it have a HUDSON engine it, rather than say a small block Chevy?  That's where the value seems to be.  Numbers matching would be even better, but I don't think people are sticklers for that when it comes to Hudsons.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Unless you are going for a #1 show car the #s are not going to matter.  However, as iceblade notes, a bastardized Hornet generally will not retain its value unless you are going for the streetrod market then all bets are off.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I look at it this way, if you have a car with the engine that came from the factory, do everything you can to save it.  Matching Numbers is not a term that really applies to Hudson's because the only way to really tell is if you have a build sheet that has the numbers all in place.  I have two engines that are correct for my car. The original engine that was in it (verified by previous owners) and a "shop engine" that by code was manufactured during the correct period for my car.  However, matching numbers is nothing more than "salesmanship." Others are terms like "frame off" (Try that on a Stepdown) or never driven--always kept in a heated garage and only driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday. I personally do not like the term "bastardized Hornet!"  Any Hudson on the road today in any configuration is better than another car.  I am not saying I like all of them, but I would rather have a Hudson than another brand....  I would recommend that you build the car to what you want, drive it like you stole it and enjoy the hell out of it.  If you have to sell it--accept that you might not find someone that likes it like you do and cry as it goes down the street/.  Go all Hudson, do not look back, and you will be a happy camper....
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Well my '50 C8 w/ Supermatic may be one of those weird ones that the numbers do not match, but came from the factory that way.  I bought it from the original owner, well his niece since he suffered from Alzheimer's (note he traded in his Terraplane for the C8).  It had 32K miles and was as he put it away in 1965 in his garage, while he bought a '65 AMC Ambassador that he drove until he was unable to continue driving in the early 80s.  After several year's of ownership I happened one day to check the serial number and found that it should have been a C6 not a C8.  There is no indication that this car had an engine change, all trim, scripts etc. matches a C8 and the supermatic for the two are different so it would have been a major and somewhat expensive effort to make this change when the car lets suppose arrived at the dealer.   The one clue I have is that is was built in June of 1950 and may well have been slated to be a C6 but either due to the owner's request to Hudson through the dealer, or what engine was around that day it ended up as a C8 since it was soon that the '51 change over was to happen (July).

So having matching numbers some times is not all its cracked up to be.
  • "the only way to really tell is if you have a build sheet that has the numbers all in place."

thanks for this comment - i am confused - i read that the engine number is on the pass side front on the engine block and it matches the vin # on the pass door if it is correct - i have personally seen two hornet sedans with matching #'s on the engine and the door jamb

i'm a hudson newbie - am i missing something?