Advice on trading for Hudson

hoop
hoop Member
 Hello I’m new to the group. I am not currently a Hudson owner. Although I have many collector cars. I was looking for some feedback I have been offered a 1953 Hudson in trade for a motorcycle I have. It’s been modified with a 429 big and has a older restoration from around 2000. What to look for and some valuation. Thanks Hoop.

Comments

• I could not begin to give you a valuation on something like that, especially with just 1 picture.  I will tell you to take a good long look underneath the car to check for rust.  These cars use a perimeter frame, not a body-on-frame like most cars of the era.  Repairs can be costly!  They tend to rust out around the rear wheels and back.
  • hoop
    hoop Member
    Thanks understandably more pictures and info is needed ? I will post more pictures.  It has been built by a professional builder again back in 2000. Owner states link suspension in the rear and volarrie front end? Also as I stated a 429 that is a Cadillac big block with a GM 400 trans behind it .
  • hoop
    hoop Member
    Here is a couple of pictures 
  • hoop
    hoop Member
    I hope you like what you see
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    appears to be a Wasp , short wheelbase entry level Hudson.
    Straight car. Modifications put it out of price guessing range for most guys on this forum.
    Modified Hudson engines tend to increase the value , non Hudson engines decrease the value. 
    Try posting at the H.A.M.B Jalopy Journal for their idea. Almost all cars there are modified.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

If you like the trade that is all that matters.

• hoop
    hoop Member
    Good thanks for the input, it is a wasp. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The place where the serious frame rust occurs (if it occurs at all) would be in the vicinity of the rear wheels.  All the modifications in the world won't help, if your frame is disintegrating and you need thousands of dollars worth of frame repair.  On the other hand, if it's solid down there, you don't need to worry about rust forming as long as you garage it and don't drive on salted roads!
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    It don’t look bad.  Like others have said look for rust and look at quality of modifications.  Outside mirror would have to go.  
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

It is not a process of price guessing that you are looking for with your question "What is it worth?"  Some thoughts I would have relates to the quality of the body that was used for the build (rust, major body damage, fit and finish inside and out.)  The engine is quite large for the car, but if it is well built and the frontal frame is solid it should not be a problem.  Did not see any interior shots--original style, modified built or era correct is important.  And, most important--how does it drive, does everything work (including those things often overlooked-all lights, emergency brakes, radio on and on)  Considering all is like new and as it should be--start around $25,000 and reduce the value for everything that needs redone.  As an example, if the tires are over four years old, you would need/want to replace them. (deduct $1000 for new tires) I, for one, like the paint job and it would cost a bit of money to replace it.  To me, I would have to accept the paint as it is not considering it as something that increases or decreases the value of the car.  In the end, if you like everything about the car and can accept it as it is understanding that it might need some rebuilding along the way (it is a 20 year old build) it should be considered as a good deal for you.  A good friend of mine had a beautiful "chopped top" custom 53 Hornet coupe for sale that in my opinion was a $40,000 car.  In time it sold for half that value because it did not meet the taste of a lot of buyers.  Price means nothing if it does not ring someone's bell to the point that they open up their wallet.  Hope this helps-let me know if I can help (I am in the roster and would welcome a call)...  Been doing car assessments for value for 50 years in my local area as a business, but these are only my thoughts.....

• hoop
    hoop Member
    Thanks again I will definitely be looking at rust, yes the mirror and sorry other changes will be made.