throttle bell crank

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
When I first bought our 54 Hornet the motor had a single 2 bbl carb and dual range trans. With the car came a twin h carbs and intake and exhaust. and some of the linkage. 986 s carbs. How many different shape bell cranks did hudson use. I bought another bell crank and it was different than the one dor the single 2 bbl carby.I also had to meke the rod with tie rods on each end. Is the throttle rod that goes down to the arm a different length than the single 2 bbl carby setup.  I am having trouble with shifting from 2to 3 and 3 to 4 it starts to shift then goes into neutral? My friend that was working on the car said the bell crank was wrong.  Ray

Comments

• Hi Ray, 

The Twin H bellcrank is different than the single carb setup.  Furthermore, on the Twin H setup, there's a different bellcrank for a manual transmission vs. a Hydramatic transmission (or so I've been told).  I was lucky enough to get the correct one with my box of Twin H parts, although I did have to modify (shorten) one of the linkages to get the correct length for some reason.  Perhaps you could post a picture of your setup and people can give suggestions.
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited May 2018
    Here's the crank that I installed in my car.  I had to shorten the linkage on the left.  The length of the arms on the right is where the manual crank is different than the Hydramatic, I THINK...

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks Stephen The linkage on the left is the part I didnt have had to make it. What length should that linkage be center to center on threads  Ray
  • I'm not sure, I'll have to look.  Maybe 3.5in?  We cut it in half, shortened it, and added a threaded section w/ nut so that the length could be fine-tuned if needed.