37 Terraplane question (2)

sidevalve
sidevalve Member
edited May 2018 in HUDSON
This one is a reprise of one from last year that was never really resolved. Most things on my car are original and perfect, and the ones that aren't original and perfect are replaced or restored and perfect, with one exception.

That exception is the front bumper rubber grommets, which are a terrible fit, are loose on the irons, don't fit the profile of the front fender (they are flat and it is curved), and slide forward when I brake. I am sure that I could fix the sliding forward thing (with double-sided tape or silicon), but I am equally sure that the fit will always suck, whatever I do. I wanted to ask if there is anyone out there with better-fitting bumper grommets, and if so where they got them. They are not listed on Dr Doug's site (rear ones are but not fronts), and when I sent his guys some (admittedly very poor) photos of mine when it was in storage (poor light), they weren't able to pronounce definitely and had 'a long debate', but in the end the guy who replied to me said he thought these were probably correct.

But as you can see, as far as I am concerned, the fit is terrible - the body is curved and the rubbers aren't, and there is also a mark in the paint from where an older rubber presumably used to be, and it is not in the same place as the outline of this rubber. So it definitely isn't the right one for the car, and I guess it is a generic one that was put on the car at some point. I could try to glue or silicon the back edge of it to the car, but that's never going to be a great solution, because bending it backwards distorts it on the bumper iron.

I am puzzled though, because it is not like Duke to put sub-standard parts on the car if the right ones are out there, and it definitely isn't like Dr Doug to sell or recommend badly-fitting parts. So something is a bit fishy, but I can't work out what!

But the first thing to do is find out if anyone has the better-fitting rubbers, and if so, where they got them!

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• More detail No. 1...
  • sidevalve
    sidevalve Member
    edited May 2018
    More detail No. 2...
  • More detail No. 3...
  • More detail No. 4...
  • More detail No. 5...
  • More detail No. 6...
  • Finally, more detail No. 7.
  • Final afterthought query - to the best of my (limited) knowledge 38s and 39s had the same front fender profile, in this area at least, so is there anyone out there with a good source of 38 or 39 bumper iron grommets?
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I suggest you contact the technical person for Terraplanes, as shown in the WTN magazine. Also look at photos of other 37Ts. Barry
  • I’ve attached a photo of what seem to be same front rubbers on a 39. In my case they are tight on the irons and are able to pushed into the contour of the guard because of the rivet they sit behind. You don’t seem to have that rivet to help you. 
  • The grommets on your '37 are not correct for the car.   If my computer skills permit - always doubtful - I will show a photo of mine.  I ordered them new from Wildrick.  A google search will pull up their website.

• Thanks again guys - looks like jtroberg has nailed it, and what I need to do is send Wildrick some better photos! Thanks for the help!