37 Terraplane question (1)

sidevalve
sidevalve Member
edited May 2018 in HUDSON
Hi guys

As usual I have been very quiet lately, partly because of pressure of work, maternal illness, and the fact that winter (in the south of France!) is only just ending this month! Anyway, this week I have gone and got my 37 Terraplane out of storage - it is the mostly-original and beautifully-preserved one that I bought from Duke Marley in NC 11 years ago.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions - one a repeat of one from last year with more info, and one a new one. First the new one. We rebuilt the motor about 8 years ago, and since then the speedometer and odometer have never worked. Recently I found the attached piece of cable in my spares box, and I am pretty sure it will be something that got missed out when the transmission was put back in the car. Thing is, I didn't do that bit myself - at the time I ran a restoration shop and I had a guy working for me, and so I don't know where it goes. I am sure that I can work it out if I get under and spend ages looking, but if anyone could tell me which bit of the sequence from transmission to speedometer it goes in, it could save me a lot of time looking. I guess that it will be near the transmission end, as there will have been no reason to dismantle the other end. I suppose it's possible that it is the internal from an empty external that got put back on the car.

Either way, it would be great to know, because I am just insuring it with a new insurance company and they want the mileage - of course, if that is the same at the beginning and end of the year (and at any potential claim...) I am pretty sure they would try to use that as an excuse to avoid paying out...

Comments

• Not sure if my pictures came out, so here they are again...
  • Here's a close-up of one end...
  • ...and another of the other end.
  • I have a 37 Terraplane, and my speedometer cable doesn't look anything like that.  First, I think yours is too short, also it would have a cap with internal screw threads where it screws into the transmission, and lastly, I am pretty sure the end that goes to the speedometer is square on the end.  But then, maybe another T-plane owner will tell me that I'm completely wrong.
    John
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    In the WTN magazine that members get, there is a technical person listed who can answer all Terraplane questions. I wish he had an email address. It would make communication easier.
    jtroberg is correct. Barry
  • Thanks guys - I didn't think this was the whole cable, but I wondered if it was a little one that joined the tranny to the main one or something.