47 Commodore rear leaf spring question.

i am putting a ford 8.8 under my commodore. The springs are almost flat when the tires are  sitting on the ground. Is this normal? Should there be some curve holding the car up a bit? Any one have pics of how new leafs look while on the ground? The diff is tucked up in there.

Comments

• D7fever
    D7fever Member
    There should be some arch to the spring, sometimes they flatten out when sitting for long periods with extra weight on them.  Will not ride too good, but if no broken leaves, it should be safe enough. 
  • Where can i order replacements?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited May 2018

FYI

Yes they should have a slight arch on the back side. Look at the sides to see if any are cracked. If not, and not bowing down ward, I would leave alone. My experience with Hudson leafs is that they are real strong and never found any broken. Yrs ago when racing, we would take the leafs apart then place on an anvil to re arch them. To lower the car we heated the rear back near the shackle then put weight on the bumper to bend the spring down then racing thru the rough dirt Track they never broke...

• They have the wraps on them so I cannot see them clearly. I had considered putting a longer rear shackle to lower the spring and raise the back end an inch or two.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    My experience its doubtful their broke but anything is possible. Probably just lost some arch from heavy loads over time because if broken they would retain some height and/or one side might be lower. Another option is slide overload springs over the Shocks to get more height.
  • I am curious, what model did that rear end come out of and what modifications to make it fit?
  • Messaged you. It is a 1997 Explorer rear end with disc brakes. The diff is offset a bit so some trimming might be needed to clear the drive shaft.