Head Gasket Question

ratlee2ratlee2 Expert Adviser
in HUDSON Posts: 213

I thought it would be a bright idea to run a compression check and spark plug inspection on my newly rebuilt 262.  I screwed the tester into the #1 cylinder before I looked closely at the adapter on the tester.  The tester easily screwed in by hand but it was the smaller thread size.  It dropped past the threads and I can easily turn it, but it wont catch the threads and back out.  The head is going to have to come back off, but my question is, can I reuse the head gasket if I recoat again with copper cote sealant?  I torqued it down 3 times after 3 heat cycles and have maybe 10 miles of driving on it.  I don't want to drop another 100 bucks on one if I don't need to.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Rich 

Comments

• Uncle JoshUncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I would spray it with aluminum paint and re-use it.
  • Ol racerOl racer Senior Contributor

If sprayed K&W Copper its pretty sticky so I would inspect both sides of gasket to ensure its all intact then re spray with K&W Copper Kote then hang until it gets real tacky then install torqing after heat cycles again.

• KdancyKdancy Senior Contributor
    Remember, compression will go up as motor is broken in and the rings seat.
    53 Super Wasp Coupe ready for restoration
    53 Studebaker Coupe Custom
    64 Champ pickup
    Wellborn, Fl
  • ratlee2ratlee2 Expert Adviser

Thanks for the advice guys, I will inspect it and give it a go.  What are acceptable compression values on a 262?  I had the following numbers at wide open throttle, operating temp, and all spark plugs removed:

1=125lbs

2=125lbs.

3=125lbs.

4=130lbs

5=125lbs.

6=130lbs.

I am used to seeing numbers from small block Fords, but I know these were lower compression engines.

Thanks,

Rich

• Ol racerOl racer Senior Contributor
    Rich, Those are good Numbers for 262 " Hudson and all within 5#'s..I agree with Kerry they may go up some after seated but nowhere near SB Ford readings...
  • ratlee2ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the confirmation on the numbers Ol racer.  Now on to tackling the head removal.