Front stepdown shocks

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
We have a '54 Hornet that has OESpectrum 5751 shocks on the front.  In my opinion, they are a bit stiff so the ride is rather harsh, especially over railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc.  So, I would like to go with a softer shock that comes closer to the original shocks that Hudson used.  Any recommendations?  Walt and others have mentioned the Monroe 31176 which has a compressed length of 7.125" vs 8.500" for the 5751 and he thought the compressed length stat is more important than the extended length stat, even though Walt runs the SensaTrac 5751.  So, I dunno.  The Hudson shop manual lists a 308394 light shock but I haven't been able to cross reference that to anything current.  Again, looking for a softer shock for a little softer riding Hudson.  Recommendations are always appreciated.  Thanks.

Tim in WI.   

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    The 31176 is a gas shock which is stiffer than an original.  I have them on my 49 Commadore and I'm going to a regular shock because they're a little too stiff.  My list shows a Monroe 5751 with a compressed length of 7 3/4  for a regular shock.  Last time I looked they were $26 on Amazon.  My list also shows a Gabriel 82026 for a regular.
  • My list shows the following for 48-54 Stepdown front shocks:

Part#      Brand
    3008 Monroe Heavy Duty
    51272 Rare Parts
    5751 ST Monroe Sense-Tracs
    82026 Gabriel
    82028 Gabriel Gas Shock
    94015 NAPA

Interchangeable with:     71-79 AMC Gremlin, Javelin, AMX      49-54 Chevrolet (Exc. Corvette)     53-62 Chevrolet Corvette      74-78 Chrysler Full Size      52-56 Ford (Exc. Station Wagon)      76-79 Plymouth Volare, Dodge Aspen      61-73 Volvo 1800

I pulled these part numbers off of the Hudson Parts Interchange and the Hudson Swaps Manual files at: http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/ and from the WTN.

Wildrick Rubber Parts (http://wrphet.com/) sold me a pair that works well for my 51 (and they can be had with nice replacement shock plates).

• 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Hi fellas.  Thanks for the info but I'm a bit confused.  I researched the above shocks and they all appear to be gas charged.  If what Uncle Josh says is true about gas shocks being stiffer than the older, original equipment shocks, then I don't know where to go.  I was leaning towards the Monroe 31176 until Josh said he thought they were "a little too stiff".  So, Uncle Josh, I would be very interested in finding out what you're going to replace them with.  It looks like the specs for the NAPA 94015 and Monroe 31176 are very similar.  I couldn't find a listing for a Monroe 3008 and the Rare Parts shocks are very expensive.  CC, do you know what brand the shocks are that Wildrick sells?  It doesn't specify on his website.  Any other ideas? Thanks.   
  • I do not know what brand Wildrick sells. I could not find any markings to identify the actual manufacturer.  The Wildrick front shocks are painted black, so that eliminates the NAPA 94015. Wildrick might be willing to discuss that information with you, but they don't volunteer it on their website.

The Monroe 3008 is probably an extinct part number, it was mentioned in the previously discussed files. The information is a mix of very old data and that which is applicable today. I mentioned everything I previously vacuumed out of those files.