Stepdown glass tips?

edsel400
edsel400 Member
edited April 2018 in HUDSON
Ahoy.  

I'll soon be installing quarter glass in a '50 Pacemaker, along with new runs.   I'd like to hear from somebody who's done this job.    Here's a few pics of the car.  Many thanks!  Dan  

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Nice car!

Don't know if you have it, but the old Hudson Body Manuals have a R&R step by step for the glass.

• Thanks RR.  I've got the '48-54 body manual that describes the operation, but it might be good to hear from someone with practical experience.  (What I really need is Hudson Maintenance for Dummies...)
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Not that difficult.  I have done several that always includes replacing the "wiskers."  The body manual is right on.  After you remove all the parts, and you need to remove the bolts that hold the divider/wind wing, the glass will slide out the top.  I always send the wind wing out for chrome and replace the rubber.  Put the divider and new wind wing in place, set the glass in from above and fit it into the window hardware (the only tough part) then put the divider back into place.  Good luck.....
  • edsel400
    edsel400 Member
    edited April 2018
    Excellent!  I did the front glass yesterday, and it turned out be a piece of cake.  I hope the rears go as easily as the fronts did.  Meanwhile, I'm looking for some repro sweeps for all four windows.  Wildrick is closed for a Hudson meet, so I'm hoping another vendor might sell these.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    My friend Vic can help you.  
    Victor Zamora - Hudson window channeling and kits. Phone: 562-947-5864 

See my website address below below a list of vendors is part of the site. 
  • Thank you.  I just sent Victor an email.
  • edsel400
    edsel400 Member
    edited May 2018
    Update:  All the new glass and runs are now installed.  The job went quite well, mainly because I only did a little at a time.  Tomorrow I'll install the sweeps, and then we'll start installing the new interior.  (Just waiting on four panels.)
  • PS.  Last year, we did the chrome and stainless.  I used the opportunity to repaint the horizontal grille panels too.  We're keeping the rest of the paint as-is because the patina is really sweet.