1939 Hudson Convertible

I need some help for a 1939 Hudson Convertible model #92. I have all of the old top and wood bows removed from the car and when I fold the metal bows back into the car it is very hard to do and it doesn't go back all of the way into the car. I would think that without anything attached that they should fold down effortlessly. I have removed all of the shoulder bolts and cleaned them and put never-seize on them. I do not understand why it is so hard for just the metal arms just to fold into the car or do I have to attach the wood frame as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    It sounds like it's binding up. Do you mean by wood frame the wooden header? the bows would need to be held in position to work well. I have a 39 model 92 also.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I also have a 92 however its not a convertible. But would love to a picture of yours 
  • Yes, I used a poor selection of terms. I have the header and the bows removed. What I have connected on each side are the metal hinges to the front where it snaps down on the windshield frame. It is taking way to much pressure to get it down part way. I would think that once I attached the header and bows that it would get even tighter.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Absolutely Val , @terraplanepilot - post some pictures as well so we can see your car please :)

• This car was purchased by my dad in 1942 and was my parents honeymoon car. It was originally California Cream before my dad painted it red.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Lovely looking car; thanks for posting!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Not only a great car but a great year!      I was born in 39
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Here is mine terraplanepilot. Yours has a back seat, mine is a coupe. Love those 39's.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Possibly the front bow would be holding everything straight and in alignment.  Without it, one side of the folding mechanism is getting ahead of the other and the whole thing is pulling lopsided.  That's just a wild guess.  Would it be that hard to bolt the front top header onto the frame, or is it too far gone?
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Jon B said:
    Possibly the front bow would be holding everything straight and in alignment.  Without it, one side of the folding mechanism is getting ahead of the other and the whole thing is pulling lopsided.  That's just a wild guess.  Would it be that hard to bolt the front top header onto the frame, or is it too far gone?
    That's my thinking too. The two sides get racked and bound up. Just my two cents worth.

• OK I'll have to bolt everything together and give it a shot. Jon, my header is too far gone as it is in a few pieces. My guess is that I need the header to get everything to fold properly.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    terraplanepilot - very cool car, and story ~ please keep that car running and in the family!
  • Val
    Val Member
    Beautiful cars guys. Love the 39's. Mine is hard top but love the convertibles 

• Here are some pictures of what your top bows should look like.
    Hope this is some helpful information.

Ivan L. 
  • Thanks guys, mine is the convertible brougham. This picture reminds me, what is the material for tacking on HH4-15 and HH4-14? I don't have any material left on mine.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Shouldn't the brougham have a rear quarter window?  It is sewed into a canvas panel that snaps in and out of the car, and is stored in a thin compartment behind the rear seat.  Or so I thought.  But in the '38-9 photo above, I see no window.
  • Mine does have the rear quarter window and it does slide into the rear seat compartment. I have had trouble explaining the rear windows to top manufacturers and will probably have to buy a standard one and try to have the windows sewn into place. Does anyone have any ideas other than having the top replaced? I have had a couple of estimates and they were both $3,000 compared to $600-$800 for the top.

• 1939 sales brochure shows side windows that does not show up on the parts book.
    But this also shows the same side windows in 1939 -92 series Brougham convert in the History of Hudson by Butler.

Ivan L. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    $3,000 to have the top replaced versus $600 - $800?  I'd certainly go with the $600 - $800!
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    I remember many moons ago, my late brother had a '39 Conv, my mate and I borrowed it one night to hoon around town, before we left my brother said what ever you do do not put the top down, but, what did we do, yes, we put the top down, then spent the next two hours trying to  get it to  up again, we then knew why he said do  not put i down.
  • KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member

Here is what the side windows and rear windows look like.
    The frames look quite difficult to construct if you have to build new ones.
    Third photo is the pouch behind the rear seat to store side windows.
    I don't know how they exactly fasten in?

Ivan L. 
  • That is exactly what I have. Did you ever look for someone who manufactures them? I have found descriptions of Brougham, Coupe and a schematic of a cutout for one that looks like it would fit but you never know.