1926 Hudson Fuel Issue

Hey guys,

glad to be here. I was a long time member of the HET club, but a downturn in cash flow resulted in my having to step back from that for awhile.

I have a 26 hudson (pictured with my id) that was running a few years back. After several years in a garage, I decided to get it out and try to get it running again. The good news is, I have it running great. It starts right up (after $10 starter cable) and runs nicely. The problem is, it only runs for about 5 minutes. Here is the scenario

I fill the vacuum canister with fuel. No worries, that's typical to get it started. I check the float in the carb, and it looks like the floats have closed the input. No worries, again. I start the car, and it runs for several minutes, and then shuts off. I am watching the needle valve floats in the carb, and it looks like the floats are all the way down. In other words, it looks like there is no longer any fuel in the carb. If I let it set for a couple of minutes, the carb fills again, the car starts right up, and it runs for several minutes before running out of fuel again.

So, I think I've narrowed it down to a fuel flow issue, but..........is it the carb or is it the vacuum canister? Both have been completely rebuilt in the past, and now I just don't seem to have any fuel flow. I really don't want to take the vacuum canister apart again, but I'm thinking it's either something blocking the output of the vacuum canister or, something blocking the needle valve seat in the carb.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to tear it all apart again, but I think that's where I'm headed. If anyone has an thought on how to troubleshoot this issue without tearing everything down, I'm all ears. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks.
jc

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Needle valve is varnished and sticking?
  • Well...doesn't seem to be sticking, but varnish could be an issue. I guess I'll start with the carb and pull the cover off where the needle valve is located and see if there's an issue there. It not, looks like it will take tearing down the vacuum tank and making sure there is no varnish located there as well.

Is there anything I could pour into the vacuum tank with the carb disconnected that would melt any varnish if there was any and provide a reasonable test that will show me that the output of the vacuum tank isn't blocked?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It will not be varnish.   Have you checked the outlet of the vacuum   tank, to see if fuel is flowing?  just  disconnect the pip and see if fuel runs out the tap.  if so, then the filter in  the bottom the carburettor is b locked.   There is a large gland nut on  the bottom of the carburettor bowl.   Remove this, and you will find a very fine gauze filter, which will need cleaning.   As the carburettor fills slowly, I wager this is the cause, because the vacuum tank will not fill itself without the engine running.  
  • Geoff,

GREAT to hear from you. I was hoping you would be around on this forum. I've been out of the loop for awhile now, but you helped me a great deal in the past.

I am getting fuel out of the vacuum tank, but I thought it might be there. The filter you suggest makes a lot more sense. And, I don't have to take either the vacuum tank or the carb off or apart to resolve the issue.

Appreciate the assist, as always.
    jc
    John
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Also check the fuel line and any fuel shutoff valve.  You may have a gunk in there.  The fuel shut off/drain valve was the problem on my 22 Essex.  Did the same thing.

Jay