Exhaust pictures? - from shorty 308 headers through first transmisison (Hydramatic) cross member

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
I have a set of the shorty headers on my 308 in my '52 Hornet, I'm wondering if anyone with the same headers has any pictures handy of how they routed past the first cross-member?  Specifically the front group, which seems to point in a less-than-handy direction.  I would prefer to stay above the cross-member, between it and the floor.  I feel this is something I can tackle myself, but would like a bit of a visual starting point.  Thanks!

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Grim,

Did you use the Search feature to look for "308 headers".  There are a few photos and even some comments from you.

John
  • GrimGreaser
    My searches didn't produce pictures of the area I'm intereted in. I'll also freely admit to hating digging through old search links... All my saved dual exhaust pictures all seem to be strictly under-car or of out-of-car full-length headers.  

Wouldn't hurt to possibly get some fresh pictures on here either.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited April 2018

FYI

I don't know if this will help or not. Duials not from Shorty Headers on my '51. These pipes run from a 7X Dual collector but stay side by side up & over crossmember beside the Hydro all the way back into a dual inlet/outlet muffler. (Made pattern on back using a pc of wire)

• First, this is 3 and Over.....might help, might not....Clifford Headers...throbs

• GrimGreaser
    Thanks,

I guess my worry is, since I don't have the inner fenders in right now it's hard to visualize how much room I have to work with in the engine compartment. Right now I have some short lengths of flex exhaust to bring the exhaust 'generally' out from under the car. Now, I was in a hurry, but I couldn't seem to get both flex tubes over the cross member like I wanted, which has led me to this juncture... 

I plan on running some Car Chemistry exhaust inserts as opposed to standard mufflers to free up more space under the car.

Are those 2" pipes Ol Racer?

Larryb, have any pictures in the engine compartment? That's a nice setup you have.  
  • Yes, 2" Aluminized Steel.  Everything is flow thru, little hollow resonator does just that.....resonate

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Hamilton TBi set up... 

• https://goo.gl/photos/S9PG2unDdRhuKpPd8

Some photos of DUAL exhausts connected to headers~~~

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited April 2018
    My '51 has 2" dual pipes back from the 7X collector. (Not Headers) into the muffler, and 2" Tail pipes exit from muffler back.....The pipes run up & over crossmember with one pipe slightly above the other (same as the other members header pictures). For a Pattern, I bought a long mild steel rod at Lowes to bend & form then took to local muffler Shop.