Are service parts for....

late 1930's Hudsons such as brake linings & hydraulic components still available or has this made a front/rearend swap more appealing to those who desire a daily driver? I'd like an original Hudson but wouldn't want to be saddled with a car that required parts made of "Unobtanium"!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I have a '37, and a couple summers ago I ordered wheel cylinders through the local parts place.  They had to order them special...I think it took a day or two.  All that stuff is pretty available.  As to brake linings: brake linings is brake linings.  There are places that can rivet or bond these to your shoes, and you can occasionally find new old stock shoes at flea markets as well.  I'd say brake components are the easiest things to find. I even swapped my front drums and backing plates for larger ones from newer Hudsons, for better stopping power (and being newer, they're slightly easier to find).   

You might want to swap the rear axle in order to get a more advantageous highway ratio, though.  Those 30's cars do not like to be driven fast with the stock ring & pinions.  Of course, you can get a repro 3.5:1 Hudson gearset, but these are very pricey.

It's NOS sheet metal that's made of Unobtainium.