NEED help identifying this car and INFO

1933 Hudson Essex Terraplane 6.  It is a coupe.  Body number 13319 and Motor number is 37517 (this is off of the title)

Thanks for any info... is this a rare car?  I have no idea on value etc.  Body is rust free!  

Comments

• You have the serial number and the motor number reversed. There are some around, but many people like the 33 Terraplane. Value depends completely on condition. Post pictures. Missing parts are hard to find.
  • Thanks Mike, I will post a pic.  it is not a complete car.  Missing interior and motor.  What this is, is a frame and body that is rust free.
  • There are certainly people who will buy it for parts. I know of several people trying to rebuild a 33 who are looking for parts. Seeing pictures of what is there, we can try and come up with a value. All fenders there? Doors? Hood? Transmission? Grill? bumpers? Dash and dash instruments? Other chrome parts?
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Pics are a must. A lot hinges on ^ what Mike said. 

• Here is a pic of the body.  Let me know what you guys think, we know nothing about these cars.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited April 2018
    If you're buying this to street rod then go to town, because it looks like someone has already started.

If you're buying this for restoration, be aware that someone has upgraded the suspension (or so it seems), leading me to wonder if the frame has been modified or replaced with a different one.  

The most difficult parts to find will be the sheet metal, so be sure to make sure that the sheet metal on this car isn't heavily "bondoed".  Engine parts (especially for the six) will be somewhat easier to find.  And you may be able to find chassis parts and even a good running an engine / transmission from some street rodder who removed them from his car; you can place a notice in the H.A.M.B.

1933 was a rare year for most American cars and especially Hudson.  There are probably only 25 of the "regular" (full sized) 1933 Hudsons still around.  There are more of the "Terraplanes" because they were Hudson's bread and butter car.  Scarcity doesn't always translate to great value, though.  Still, coupes are usually more valuable than 2- or 4-door sedans, though, so this would be a desirable car.

If you do make the leap and buy it, I'd advise joining the Hudson club because it's an invaluable resource in finding parts, technical information and advice from fellow owners of the same year of car as yours. https://www.hetclub.org/
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Page 160 and 161 in "The History of Hudson, by Don Butler"
  • 33kc1989
    I agree with Jon B.   Except restoring it.   From what we all see it's not like it was back in the day.  It would take years and lots of dollars to even think of restoring it, and a good chance of loosing interest.  I'd say it would be a killer hot rod.  Not street rod. Motor would have to go. Maybe a nailhead, Hemi or dare I say a sbc.  All in all not bad from 1 picture.  
  • 33kc1989
    Didn't take long. Already on E-bay.  
  • well, was trying to get info for my little brother, and he threw it on ebay.  I am thinking it is too much...but again, have no idea.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Austingoblue, maybe it's time to sit back and give this whole thing some thought.  What is your goal here?  A 1930's street rod coupe?  Restored coupe?  Is the make important, or the "look"?  Or would you be just as happy with a '57 Chevy or a '64 Mustang?  Also: do you want something you can restore or customize yourself, or would you prefer something that's ready to jump into and drive?  Once you decide exactly what you want to end up with, we could suggest some plan of action even (sigh!) if it means you don't end up with a Hudson.  Many of us have other cars besides Hudsons, and while most of us are "originalists", many of us also like modifieds.  We're a mixed group.  So we could offer some good advice.

What I'm saying (not very well) is:  maybe this car just sort of caught your eye, but you haven't really looked around yet.   There might be a better car for you, out there.  Do give this matter some deep thought before you spend lots of money buying a car, then spend lots more money (and a lot of hours) getting it into the condition you want. 

(Though, if you DO like Hudsons we can give you way more advice than a human is expected to process...)
  • 1933 long wheelbase 6, same chassis as terraplane 8, Hornet will bolt right in, plenty of mechanical parts around, so would not be hard to put back on the road, looks like the really hard to find stuff still there and a good body. whats it worth?, considering what I sold mine for, not really bad starting price. 
  • 33kc1989
    I wonder what they were thinking when they lopped off rear fenders.   
  • !!!!Brain Fade!!!, as least they did save the pieces