1935 Railton

bent metal
bent metal Senior Contributor
I was lucky enough to be asked to help in the restoration of Richard Esparza's 1935 Railton.  I would like to share some of the pictures with everyone.  Hope you enjoy the journey.  A truly coach built body, with very interesting construction techniques and details.  The photos I have are of the sheet metal work only.  Maybe Mr. Esparza can elaborate more on the other aspects of the build.  Of which there are many.  The sheet metal is only a small part of this project.

Comments

• bent metal
    Delivery.  Still mostly assembled.
  • bent metal
    Test fitting everything.  Making note  of where there are issues.
  • bent metal
    Some bracing before things are removed.  I made the rear window bracing removable.  This framework will not only keep everything lined up during the sheet metal work, but during the wood work as well.
  • bent metal
    Notice the wiring.  All black wires with no tracers.  The shocks are friction and adjustable!!!
  • bent metal
    Because this is a restoration, not a recreation, we repaired everything the best I could.  In many cases it would have been faster and easier to make new pieces.  But a serious effort was made to keep as much of the original pieces as is reasonably possible.  The inner fender (or fender guard) was the first piece I think I made.  ...Just to get warmed up before I do the bigger stuff.  ;)
  • bent metal
    The roof is a good example of the idea of repairing original pieces.  It would have been much easier to just remake the top.  But we retained as much of the original car as we could, replacing mostly just rusted away pieces.
  • bent metal
    Right side roof.  This was shaped with the English wheel.  So that's why it looks so shinny.  I will lightly sand it later.  Paint won't stick very well to steel that smooth.
  • bent metal
    Rear window.  Notice the metal rusted away more where the back side was against the wooden structure.  I suspect the metal was nailed on bare and painted after.  So the back side, against the wood, never got painted.  That seems to be how other wood framed cars I've worked on were made as well.
  • bent metal
    On to the rear fenders.  Notice the roof, fenders (wings), and cowl are steel.  The main body through the doors is aluminum.  The doors still open and close with one finger.
  • bent metal
    The little bits are the inside mounting bracketry.  Notice the long fender support brackets, one twisted left, one twisted right.
  • bent metal
    Some roof repair.  The stampings are for the Sunshine roof to drain.  If anyone has any information on the Sunshine Roof company please let me know.  I'm looking for information on the construction and function of the roof.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Beautiful work Perry.  Thanks for showing us this project.
  • bent metal
    Running boards and front fenders.
  • bent metal
    A lot of rust where panels overlapped.
  • bent metal
    More on front fenders and running boards.
  • bent metal
    Front splash apron under the grill. 
  • bent metal
    Battery box, and Richard Esparza himself figuring out the grill.
  • bent metal
    Under hood panels along with the tool box.
  • bent metal

Now we are getting into the tricky stuff.  But I feel warmed up, ready to do this.  ;)  :D 

• bent metal
    All of the edges are rusted away, too much welding to make it worth repairing.  I did save the vent screens.  Remade the vent doors and vent springs.  The rest, all new.
  • bent metal

The cowl pieces.

• bent metal

A little scary to make these pieces without the car.  At the time I made the cowl parts I no longer had the car.  So, I had no way to gap the doors.  Just make the new as close to the old as possible, and hope the originals fit well, because that's what I'm going off of.

• bent metal

The A-pillar pieces, and the windshield header panel.  I set the old header on the A-pillar to make sure it was the same as the new header.

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Inspirational Perry, thanks for showing this.  Sent you a PM

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    A truly phenomenal set of pictures Perry showing off your hard work and perseverance with this lovely car. In years to come you'll be able to look back and say "I helped to save that car"!.

Brilliant job my man, brilliant job!
  • Amazing work, thank you for sharing!
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Wow,  fantastic metal work. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more pics.
  • bent metal
    Are the pictures loading for everyone?  I have a little black X in a box for half of the photos???   This seams like a long page too.  I wonder if that might be the problem?
  • bent metal
    Thank you gentleman!!!  I'm glad you liked it.  :D
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Are the pictures loading for everyone?  I have a little black X in a box for half of the photos???   This seams like a long page too.  I wonder if that might be the problem?
    They do load Perry but as you say it's a long page with some wonderfully detailed pictures so bear with the site as it gets them all in. I am looking to see if there is a more efficient way of displaying pictures such as yours so watch this space!