How hard can this be?

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I'm in the process of removing my steering wheels.  I have the split collar and the wheel puller attached correctly as far as I can tell.  It's just that I don't seem to be making much progress.  I've sprayed it liquid wrench and still no results.  Nor does hitting with the rubber mallet seems to work.  

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2018
    I'm shooting in the dark here, but possibly -- after you've liberally applied that penetrating oil where the spline meets the wheel hub -- you could just lightly tap-tap-tap the top end of the shaft with a regular hammer, to set up some vibration that would allow the oil to slowly seep in and do its job.  Obviously you don't want to whale on it, for fear of breaking something.  But, just firmly tap it for awhile to gradually introduce the oil into the space between the shaft and hub.  You want metal to metal contact, so don't use a wooden, plastic or rubber mallet.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    brass hammer won't damage the shaft but still gives the shock needed..
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Old bodyman trick... pull the seat forward enough, if needed, and then pull your knees up behind the wheel towards yourself to apply additional pulling pressure while your rapping the nut with the hammer.

Spreads the pressure out across the wheel and your legs are pretty darn strong :)