8 cylinder front plate

bob ward
bob ward Senior Contributor
I'm changing the timing gears on a 35 H8 to a 20° aluminium set and have a couple of queries for the knowledgeable.

The gasket behind the front plate is 1/16" thick (it looks like a factory made item not a home made job) is there a reason for it being that thick? I'm thinking that a judiciously placed bead of silicon should make an adequate gasket.

When I removed the front plate it pulled out from 2 holes low down in the block what looks like a felt wadding or wick. What is the purpose of that wadding, I can't see a reference to it in the manual?

What is considered an adequate clearance between the cam gear and the heads of the 2 bolts that go behind it, 30 or 40 thou?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    The wick sticking out is the main bearing packing. I would pack it back in the hole. I would also use the appropriate gasket instead of forma gasket. One more check is the thrust washer behind the cam shaft, make sure it's in useable condition.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited March 2018

I don't see a thrust washer at all.  It's supposed to go between the camshaft the the block.  These are prone to being missing, either because the previous guy didn't know one was supposed to be there, or it wore out.  Bugger getting the new one in there because the camshaft has to come out, which means pull the head, manifolds and valves to get the lifters out.

As to the 2 bolts behind the gear, make sure you have the sheet metal keepers in place that keep them from backing out. As long as they miss the gear you're good.  .030 is a miss.

I just went thru all this last week.

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi Bob.

Geoff Clark is staying with me at the moment but has gone to bed. I will alert him to this post tomorrow I am sure he will have a view.  Regards

Trevor

• allan
    allan Member
    if you are using the aluminum set, follow the procedures in the mechanical procedure manual for the modification.  (countersink the holes and replace with star washer and screw)  46 and later used this method for your reference.