1934 bumper accessory identification

dholck
dholck Expert Adviser
Hey you guys who have seen all these things... what was the purpose of these uprights behind the 1934 Terraplane bumper?  Was there reflective paint in the hexagons?  It would make sense if they were reflectors, otherwise what would the purpose be?  I do not remember what was there when I got the car 45 years ago.

How about these bumper guards?  Are they two different sets with one missing? ..or was there some setup with two and one in the middle?
I've seen two of the plain on the back bumper of a 35 Hudson, and two with hexagons on the front of a 34 Terraplane - is the triangle for the front of a Hudson?

Image result for 34 terraplane fritts

Comments

• I believe that the bumpers were an additional optional item and were supplied by many suppliers in the 1930’s - you’d find many installations across brands. I think that reflective paint wasn’t available in the 1930’s - they used cats eyes glass beads - maybe you had something that was put on your car in the later period - or that the plates are backing plates and the front bumpers are missing as usually the bumpers are in 2 parts - if you bought the bumpers without the bolt showing cheers Ken 
  • I had a look at google and cars eyes were not manufactured until 1935 and reflective paint like used in watches etc was banned in the 1920’s  for causing cancer 
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Radium was used on watch dials up into the 1960s - I was thinking more of some kind of paint with ground glass or something that would be reflective in headlights.  
    In Ken's first comment he must be referring to the bumper GUARDS ...the bumperettes as they are called.  Yes, all 3 of the bumper guards pictured are in 2 parts with a backing plate that goes behind the bumper. My 34 had no bumper guards on it at all.  The car was sitting in a garage from the early 1950s until I got it, so I don't think those uprights with the hexagon on the back bumper were add-ons.  Nobody has seen those or has them?
    Upon further research, I see a couple other 34s on Google images that have these uprights with hexagons on the back bumper.  Also a number of other 34 Terraplanes that have the front bumper guards with the hexagons.  I'm thinking the bumper guards with the hexagons were factory accessories.  I have the 1934 accessory catalog somewhere - can't find it.