Clutch slipping at higher speeds

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I know I have seen this discussed on this forum before, but I can't recall the exact responses.  On the Interstate my 48 Stepdown has started to "freewheel" or jump out of overdrive at higher speeds.  This doesn't occur while driving around town or at speeds below sixty miles per hour out in the country.  Any of you guys have an idea as to what is causing this?
Thanks

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I haven't driven my 50 in a while but I believe that 2nd and 3rd are supposed to freewheel when in overdrive.
  • Edwardjohnsr
    Edwardjohnsr Expert Adviser
    Jason,
    I'm not an expert on overdrives (or anything else it seems) but it sounds to me like its a problem with the overdrive governor.  At speeds above about 25, contacts in the governor close which activates the overdrive (by way of the solenoid mounted on the cowl).  If the governor can't handle high revs, maybe the contacts don't stay closed which will deactivate the overdrive.  If you can remove the governor and find a way to spin it up to the equivalent of an engine speed of 3 to 4,000 rpm's you could see if there is electrical continuity that quits when it gets up to high revs. If so, then comes the hard part - finding a new governor.  Alternatively you could try to find a new governor first and just replace it.  Only trouble is that could be an expensive way to find out that the governor isn't the problem.

I hope this helps.  By the way, a long time ago I had an electrical problem on the highway that caused the OD to drop out.  It tore up something inside the overdrive and I had to drive home about 75 miles without overdrive.  Back then I was able to find a complete replacement overdrive unit in a local junk yard and I was able to switch it out.  You probably won't find too many Hudsons in your local junk yard now and I hope your problem gets resolved without any such major issues. 

Good luck,
    Ed 
  • Edwardjohnsr
    Jason,
    Another idea - probably better than the previous one.  I looked at the Hudson repair manual.  There is a simple procedure for checking the governor.  Connect a test light
    between the terminal on the governor and the negative terminal of the car battery.  Run the wires of the test light so the light is inside the car where you can see it.  Then drive the car.  At about 25 mph the light should come on and stay on (this would be the same as activating the overdrive).  For your problem go onto a highway and run it up to 60 or more.  If your problem is the governor then the light should go out (the same as the overdrive dropping out).  If it doesn't go out then your problem must be something else.

By the way, if someone else who knows more about the overdrive wiring jumps in with a comment about my suggestions, I won't be offended if he has a better idea.

Ed
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I actually have an indicator light that comes on when the governor kicks in and the overdrive will engage when I let up off the gas.  The indicator light goes out when I turn the overdrive toggle switch off.  This light stayed on when the clutch started slipping so I’m pretty sure it’s not the governor.  I was wondering if my clutch fluid may be low causing the clutch to disengage.  
  • Edwardjohnsr
    Jason,
    Sorry the suggestion about the governor didn't help.  Regarding the clutch slipping, my experience has been that low clutch fluid causes lots of chattering when you first start up.  For me, clutch slippage has been a result of too much clutch fluid.  Again, this is just my experience and maybe someone else will jump in with other ideas.

Ed
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway.  I too have experienced the clutch slipping from too much clutch fluid.  Maybe I have a linkage problem.