Stepdown Electric P/S Conversion

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited March 2018 in HUDSON

FYI

Ive installed different types of Power Steering on all my Hudson's except Stepdown so decided to install an Electric Unit on it like many New Cars utilize. However, perhaps Im a little premature describing though since I haven't road tested yet with a Record 200" Snowfall this winter plugging my garage doors, but works Ok inside.

I purchased a 2015 Toyota column P/S Motor, two Borgeson Coupler's, made some measurements, then cut the Steering shaft and welded the couplers. (The Unit does require a small ECM Controller to operate). The small ECM mounts anywhere under dash. The wiring consists of Battery, Ground, and Ignition Switch. The Motor Assy needs a simple mounting bracket so don't rotate.

The Motor can be 'Clocked' to mount in any position but I chose 8:00 because I had already mounted a new fuse box above Hood Handle. There's plenty of room below the Motor at 8 o'clock. The fabrication to this point was all pretty basic. Some engineering came next...

I had to fabricate a Shift Rod over the Motor (since I didn't want to simply install a Floor Shift), so I used (4) 3/8" pipe Elbow's to go up & over the Motor gearbox, then re-wired the small Indicator Light wire inside the pipe.

Next was to configure the Horn button (because didnt want to simply mount an external Button) so wired around the Motot Assy up thru the chrome Turn Signal channel below column to the Steering Wheel then made a modern contact assembly thru the Hudson Steering wheel. (It would been simpler to use the Toyota upper Shaft & Steering Wheel).

Isolated Horn Contact