'47 COMMADORE HOOD HINGE

Hello again,

I am attempting to re-assemble a car that I did not dis-assemble. This car arrived as two truck loads of parts.

The forward folding hood for this '47 Commadore 8 has me scratching my head. There must be some sort of bushing missing between the hinge and inner fender.

Does anyone have a photo of this assembly? Is there an assembly manual available for this car? 

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    spring , bushing ,nut, bolt, washer go there.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Not sure of any assembly manual, but it would be helpful to you if you could locate someone with a similar car nearby.  Then you could inspect it and get the answers to many questions.  Why not start by stating where you live?  Perhaps one of our forum members with a '42, '46 or '47 may live not far from you, and would be happy to let you drive over and look at his / her car.
  • That is a great idea. I am in Sidney, Ohio, just north of Dayton on I-75
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member

Mark,  Lots of help available in your part of the country, the Southern Indiana-Ohio Chapter.  A good reason to become a member of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.
  • Excellent advise, and if I owned this car I would certainly become a member. This is a customer vehicle in my restoration shop. It is nearing completion and will soon drive out of my life. One day I will search for one for myself, but already have too many personal projects rusting in the lot and too busy building customer cars to work on my own! But rest assured that all the advice I have received on this site is putting one more of these beautiful cars back on the road, and I have suggested the owner look into joining this club
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Glad you explained that!  I hope someone (with one of these cars) can jump into this conversation and perhaps offer you a snapshot of sketch showing how to put this hood hinge together!  In the meantime, could you post a link to your shop's website, so that someone might contact you if they (for example) know of someone with a car like this, in the Dayton area?  (They might not want to make this owner's name public, on the forum...and might not be acquainted with the private messaging system here.  So, it would be nice to have some means of contacting you aside of the forum.)
  • My shop is a "one-man-show" that operates in the evenings/weekends after my full time job (obviously, I have no life, just a love for old cars), I have no website, no need to advertise as I am booked for the next 4 years. The best way to reach me is my work email "mschroer@electro-controls.com". I have restored a few cars for the president of the company so I have the luxury of using my work computer for these things (I'm at work right now actually). Usual shop hours are 4pm-9pm m-f, all day sat. (EST of course). Shop phone 937-507-1469.

The owner took this car completely apart 10 years ago and stashed parts in multiple garages. he has no memory of how this hinge was assembled, and all I have is the brackets on the inner fenders and the hinge (one piece bar) that bolts to the hood. Needless to say this has been one big puzzle over the last two years!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm sure that, if we could get one of our Club members (with similar car) over to your shop, he / she could identify many "mystery parts" and tell you, as well, how they all go together.  With luck, the person could arrive in their Hudson! 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

From chiltons crash book 
  • Ahh, this helps. However, I still do not know what parts belong between item #27 and 28. These are the missing parts and the owner cannot find or remember what belongs here. Before I invent something, are there replacement parts or does anyone have these parts for sale?
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    call al saffran he just sent me the correct parts. each side has a bolt, sleeve, 2 washers a spring ,a bushing and a jam nut. he is in arizona  520-568-2911  you are  getting parts for the HOOD PIVOT