57 Hornet Hydramatic (Flashaway) won't shift into forward or reverse

Thormax
Thormax Member
edited February 2018 in HUDSON
I have a 57 Hornet with a Hydramatic transmission that won't shift into forward 
or reverse gears. I have the external linkage & levers on the side of the trans 
itself removed. But still I'm unable to rotate the selector shaft in the transmission.
 Before I remove the trans pan to see what's causing this problem I figured
i would try this forum to see if somebody else has experienced this same
problem & if it was repairable with the transmission in the car?
i would surely appreciate some help. Thank you

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    PAUL SCHUSTER will know.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    (Stand by, Paul may jump in here to help)

For future reference, you might want to entitle your topic by its subject matter, such as "Help Needed for '57 Transmission", or "Hydramatic Won't Shift Into Forward or Reverse".....or a similar phrase. 
  • I'm trying to figure out the picture post for this site & im currently using my
    cell phone!   I'm sorry I'm not to swift with these sites etc. At 62 yrs. old unless 
    I'm talking by phone or text I get lost pretty quick.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The photos are visible if you click on the "jpg" text.  At over 1 megabyte they might be too large for the system, I dunno...  Anyway, if you click on "FORUM--Instructions and Tips" on the left column here, you can find a "how to" on posting photos.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I have contacted Paul and he'll try to get back to you this evening.  

By the way...was this transmission running okay in your car, and then it broke?  Or has it been this way since you bought it?
  • Thormax said:
    I'm trying to figure out the picture post for this site & im currently using my
    cell phone!   I'm sorry I'm not to swift with these sites etc. At 62 yrs. old unless 
    I'm talking by phone or text I get lost pretty quick.

• No it's been this way since it got the car.
    In fact the external linkage was disconnected from the transmission.
    I have the car on my lift & think the transmission is in neutral though I'm really not certain because when the engine is running at fast idle the left rear wheel is spinning.
    i just put a rebuilt brake master cylinder 
    & vacuum booster on it.(It came with the
    purchase of the car) Been trying to get the brakes blead & the power assist to
    work!
    Thanks for listening 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Alex Burr has a website with a manual describing the use of the hydramatic.  I believe it is the same as 55 hudson.  That manual is here http://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1955/1955HudsonAutomaticTransManual.pdf
  • Thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a look. The 1955 Hudson transmission repair manual I have covers a automatic 
    that has side covers. My transmission has no side covers & is a cast iron case
  • Yep. Farmer unfortunately it's the same manual I currently have.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    It seems to me that I've heard the 1957 "Flash-O-Matic" Hydro was a completely different transmission from the Hydro of 1951 thru 1956.  I think Paulargetype will confirm that fact when him jumps on here.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited February 2018
    1957-65 supposed to be the same. Looks to be Borg Warner.
    Maybe try AMC forum for info
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warner_35_transmission

Here's a PDF file
    http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/BorgWarner-M35-service-manual/Borg-Warner M35 service manual.pdf
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Had two '57's and had both  transmissions rebuilt, and they were both hydramatics. My 1957 Hudson shop manual also says HYDRAMATIC. The 1957 is a later design the same as Pontiac and Oldsmobile, but they didn't call it flashaway, but Jetaway.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Thormax said:
    I have a 57 Hornet with a Hydramatic transmission that won't shift into forward 
    or reverse gears. I have the external linkage & levers on the side of the trans 
    itself removed. But still I'm unable to rotate the selector shaft in the transmission.
     Before I remove the trans pan to see what's causing this problem I figured
    i would try this forum to see if somebody else has experienced this same
    problem & if it was repairable with the transmission in the car?
    i would surely appreciate some help. Thank you
    I would take it to a transmission shop that knows how to work on the 1957 vintage Pontiac and Oldsmobile  Hydramatic  Transmissions, as all the internal parts are the same.
  • I found some information on this  site called The old car project (Repair manual) . Apparently this Hydramatic was referred to with (4) different names depending on what make your vehicle was.
    Attached is a picture from their site
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    Blanket name would be "Controlled Coupling Hydramatic".