clutch oil

How the heck do you get the plug out of the clutch to put in oil on a 37 terraplane six. Cant seem to get anything to get a grip and I am loosing mine. Any tricks out there?

Comments

• Probably need a 6 point socket, and maybe need to grind off the inside taper on the socket.  I put a some butyl  in the socket to stick to the plug so it doesn't fall down .
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    On my stepdowns, I glued a small magnet in side the 6 point socket  sometimes it works other times I remove the dust shield to retrieve it.......more often the latter ! Could be your plug has been worn by many years of slipping wrenchs.
  • Raise the car using some ramps or jacking the front up to give you space under the car. Take off the dust shield - it’s only 2 bolts - using the button on top of the starter tap the button till the clutch bolt has moved to be directly 6pm - you can get a spanner hold firmly from under the car. I’d get a paint brush and paint a circle on the clutch plate they the inspection hole - so next time you see the paint you know the bolt is 6pm - cheers Ken 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited February 2018
    Hudson had a tips section in the Hudson Dealer news and Merchandisers.  One of the tips which made the mechanic providing it $10.   Was to ... stuff a shop rag into the space below the filler plug when removing.  If the plug slipped out of your wrench the rag caught the plug and you did not have to remove the dust shield. BTW... if you look at the dust shield it has a drain hole in the bottom... ?  to drain the clutch fluid when you bump the open hole in the flywheel to the bottom and the fluid falls into the waiting catch basin.   Bump the flywheel back to the top and using a funnel and hose that fits into the hole in the flywheel replace the fluid with 1/3 pint of fluid and stuff the rag back into the flywheel area while reinstalling the plug.   Hudson engineers must have thought climbing under the car to change the clutch oil was not the right way to do this task... otherwise the hole in the engine mounting plate would have been smaller.
  • Thanks! Got it done only dropped the plug once. Use a small hose and an old fashion squirt bottle like you put catsup in. Plugged it into the hose held it high and after it was almost empty squeezed the bootle to clear the line.. Worked like a charm and a lot better then trying to hold the funnel in place. Used a offset box end to get the bolt out and tighten it up at the end.