Replacing ring gears or one piston in a 262

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Can this be done without removing the engine from the car?  I've googled this question and it looks like other gear heads from other makes and models have at least attempted to do so.  According to the compression tests I performed today, according to the repair manual I'm losing compression on #6 due to either faulty rings or a busted piston.  

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You can replace the piston with engine in car.  A lift will make the task A Lot Easier! 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I agree with Ken, more likely to be a burnt valve than a piston  or ring.  Put piston on t.d.c. firing stroke and  pump air through the plug hole.   If it comes out the oil filler it is rings, if out the exhaust it is the valve.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I was referring to the piston rings.  I was assuming that because the repair manual said if the compression went up after putting oil in the cylinder that the culprit was a bad piston ring, which is what happened.  I will take the head off and see what the condition of the valves are.  Wish me luck.  
  • I went thru all this on my 262.
    You may want to take a look at the thread I documented on my journey.
    https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/165555/project-creep-valve-guides-valve-job-etc/p1