Wiper arm

hudsonsplasher1hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
in HUDSON Posts: 630
I need to get the wiper arm off to get the vacuum motor out for repair. I can't figure out how to get it off, help.  It's a 49 Commodore, any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Ric West INRic West IN Senior Contributor
    If you are just trying to release the tension spring so you can remove the cables,  you will need to loosen the bolt/nut that holds the spring locked in place.  Loosen bolt,push the pulley assembly toward the motor.  Should give enough slack to remove cables.
  • hudsonsplasher1hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    It's actually the wiper on the rear window. I need to get the wiper arm off the post. It just turns around. I don't see any set screw or a way that it fastens to the post.
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Senior Contributor
    edited February 13 Posts: 3,294
    I think the wiper arm is just a press fit on the splined shaft. There is a metal tab like thing you can push up on with the flat of a flat screwdriver and the  you can pry the wiper arm off the splined shaft.

• Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Senior Contributor
    If you are just trying to release the tension spring so you can remove the cables,  you will need to loosen the bolt/nut that holds the spring locked in place.  Loosen bolt,push the pulley assembly toward the motor.  Should give enough slack to remove cables.
    It is not locked, just push the spring rachet stop in and then push the pulley in, and there is a small hole about 1/16", that when pushed inwards towards the wiper motor, will line up with another hole the same size in the bracket. Just insert a skinny nail, awl, or whatever to hold it in the released position, and then you can unhook the crimped cable stops from the swivels on the shaft at back of the wiper motor.