Front Door Hinges

Hudsonrules
Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
How difficult is it to remove and replace the front door hinges on a '54 Hornet? Any steps to be taken? Thanks, Arnie in Nevada

Comments

• Arnie, First if you are able, rap the head of the  #3 phillips  hinge screws squarely with a hammer. Then get a #3 phillips screwdriver either powered or not and see if they will move. . If not, you can use a 'hot wrench' to heat them up  and see if that helps in their removal. If either of these two don't get the screws to move you can always drill them out.Start a pilot hole at the dead center of the phillips head screw and start drilling. If you complete the pilot hole drill switch over tho the larger drill and complete the extraction. Good luck Arnie. Take it from me, drilling is a pain in the butt but sometimes you have no choice. Good luck.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I haver found the best way is to use a 1/2" square adapter with  large philips head bit, and  a socket handle.   This way you can  push hard in to the screw, and lever it on the handle,  worked for me for me.  Perhaps a air impact driver would be as good, but you have to get one of those first!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    After Rambo suggested the use of the screw shaker I brought one...splendid results!
  • Wow thats great Ken. I didn't know they still made them. I guess I should be selling mine for more than $1.50 ea!