Fram oil filter

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
edited January 2018 in HUDSON
Looking for advise on the oil filter on my 49 Commodore 8. Do they really work that well on a splasher engine?  Should I keep it or get rid of it? Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They only filter half the oil, which is probably better than none at all, but that's probably better then the six cylinder Step-down motors.   Over to you really.  The splash  oil system is pretty well set up in that any major grit particles are filtered out by the sump screen, and any heavy articles that  could perhaps get in will fall to the bottom of the trugh, not pumped through the bearings as in pressure fed system. 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I put them on my stepdowns just for the looks.  I change oil ever year or 3000 miles and use Rotella non synthenic oil.

• hudsonsplasher1

I put them on my stepdowns just for the looks.  I change oil ever year or 3000 miles and use Rotella non synthenic oil.

I use Rotella also. Do you use the canister without the oil filter, or just install them for looks without the plumbing?
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Thanks for the info guys. 
  • Browniepetersen

I install them for full use.  I often inspect the filter to see if any metal shows up in the filter.  Actually, I think the 54 engine does a bit better job of filtering the oil.  But, not much.

• hudsonsplasher1

I install them for full use.  I often inspect the filter to see if any metal shows up in the filter.  Actually, I think the 54 engine does a bit better job of filtering the oil.  But, not much.

Thanks Browniepetersen.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    I should have ask this question first, but where do you get the replacement filters?  I tried NAPA and Advance with no luck. Does anything cross reference?
  • Browniepetersen
    I use the FRAM C4P. Any store that has FRAM oil filters carry them.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    I use the FRAM C4P. Any store that has FRAM oil filters carry them.
    Thanks Brownie.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    If it helps any, I have a NOS Hudson FRAM oil filter replacement cartridge still in its original Hudson box.  The part number is SP 302496.  
  • hudsonsplasher1
    If it helps any, I have a NOS Hudson FRAM oil filter replacement cartridge still in its original Hudson box.  The part number is SP 302496.  
    Thanks railnight I'm good for now.

• I should have ask this question first, but where do you get the replacement filters?  I tried NAPA and Advance with no luck. Does anything cross reference?
    I use FRAM C3 or C3P.  Assuming you have the same setup as my 54 has...
  • hudsonsplasher1
    I should have ask this question first, but where do you get the replacement filters?  I tried NAPA and Advance with no luck. Does anything cross reference?
    I use FRAM C3 or C3P.  Assuming you have the same setup as my 54 has...
    Thanks iceblade.
  • I use Wix 51010 or Fram C3P successfully in my 51 Super 6. I assume the filter canister didn't change in dimensions over the years for the stepdowns. Both filters are easy to find.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    To answer the original question. I would not install the filter. It appears to me that the added restriction of the filter would reduce the oil flow to the rear of the engine. Any reduction of oil flow is not a good thing. What do you think Geoff ?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    If we can get Frank's full flow filter in production we would not need to have the hang on filter!
  • railknight
    SuperDave said:
    To answer the original question. I would not install the filter. It appears to me that the added restriction of the filter would reduce the oil flow to the rear of the engine. Any reduction of oil flow is not a good thing. What do you think Geoff ?

Our tech advisor for the Chicago-Milwaukee HET chapter, Gus Souza, has suggested in the past that a Hudson engine is better off without the bypass oil filter as it does reduce the oil pressure to some extant.  One other issue with the bypass filter is the possibility of a leaking rubber oil line to the filter.  One of our CHI-MIL members had this happen while driving his 1950 Hudson (six cylinder) to a meet and it starved the engine of oil whereby he had to get his engine rebuilt.  Of course, metal lines to and from the filter would greatly reduce this engine hazard.

Dan

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    I would never use fram on anything.  Wix only.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Dave, in answer to your question re oil flow, the delivery side of the pump is positive pressure,   that is it is forcefully pumped by the  pump piston, hence the oil flow is not reduced.  It would be a different story if the filter was plumbed into the intake side of the pump, which relies on suction to draw the oil from the sump into the pump.  The oil filter was an option on Step-down 8's.
    Geoff 
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

If it is BETTER than no filter at all, that is enough to use one.

• railknight

It's interesting to note that in a 1954 Hudson owners manual I have that there is no mention of oil filter replacement nor engine oil capacity with the filter unit installed on the engine.  Just change the oil ever 2000 miles or sooner if dusty conditions warrant. 

However, I have an almost complete set of Hudson Service Merchandisers and on the back covers of several of them are promotions of FRAM oil filters.  In fact, in the August 1949 issue it reads the following:  "A substantial pick-up in Oil Filter sales by Hudson Dealers is being reported since the new Hudson-Fram Oil Filters and Replacement Cartridges were announced.  Although they have been available only since June, some dealers are already reporting sales as high as (six in two days-italics).  It is no wonder that sales have jumped, because the Fram Filter is recognized as one of the leading Filters in the world."

Well, there you have it.  Hudson was promoting the FRAM, or as Hudson spells it, Fram oil filter for stepdowns as far back as June, 1949.

Dan 

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    That was then.  Not now.