Y&Z vs. Rhode Island Wiring

Has anyone had experience with wiring harnesses from these two vendors?  Which one is best?

Thanks in advance,

Allan

Comments

• I’ve used harness from both companies. Y&Z gives you a complete harness with all wires from bumper to bumper. Rhode Island Wiring does the harness in sections,engine,under hood, each head light,each tail light. It can be confusing, but if you don’t want to replace everything it works out. Both companies make a quality harness.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Both are very good, as are a number of other suppliers.  And, you can also build your kit from scratch.  For me it comes down to who has the best people or parts and service skills/.  I do think you can find problems with all of them, and even the best will leave you with a few questions like: "why did they do that."  in the end, the final goal is new wiring that will give you years of service free use.  Dread the day you have to go back and order parts that you messed up, or do not fit your application.  So, I have used both and even built my own.  Bottom line: my next kit will be from Y & Z.

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Both company's deliver a very good quality product
    Both company's use the same color code as the Hudson makes it easy to follow the wiring diagram  
    Instructions are easy to follow I have bought from both company's was very pleased
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I used Rhode Island for my 35 Terraplane.  Was very happy.  All the colors and wire type s were as there originals. Everything came bagged and tagged.  They also made some slight modifications at my request. One was to add LED brake lights to the rear window.
    The other was to add a ground wires to the head light harness.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Allan,

I have used YnZ twice, very pleased with the workmanship and ease of installation. I first chose YnZ for my 54 Hudson because that's who Bill Albright used and recommended.

When you are done, and you are in doubt as to whether you did ever correctly, use a 6 volt lantern battery to test your system.  Lights will work but the relays will only click, but won't cause "smoke-n-fire" if something is wired incorrectly.  

John Forkner  
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Used RI on my '50 Commodore and it was perfect.  They even moved the special connectors from my Supermatic harness over to the new one.
  • Thanks everyone.