Fluid damper for sale 308/262

I am looking to sell a Clifford Inline Performance fluid damper for flat six motors. I have it posted on ebay. If any one here is interested I am asking $400. Thanks     -Shane

Comments

• silly question, but what is that?
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    allan said:
    silly question, but what is that?  My guess, a replacement for a vibration dampener.

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Its a rare High Performance Harmonic Dampner/Balancer that eliminate vibrations on the long spinning crankshaft riding on only 4 Main Bearings.
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    I should respond here, I think.  In 1994 I used the Clifford supplied Fisher damper which is not a fluid damper.  It was the style with friction plates and springs.  It did nothing for the 4900 RPM harmonic crankshaft problem--The engine could not be held at 5000 RPM--shook badly enough to throw the fan belt out of deep groove pulleys.  At 5500 you could take readings again. The violence of the 4800 to 5000 was amazing.  The engine did not blow up on the dyno, but after about 100 miles of the Carrerra Panamericana the crankshaft broke and my run was over.  I have since built Hudson to run with a 4800 limit.  It would be an interesting project to redesign the crank to shift that harmonic up and allow more RPM to try to make more horsepower.  I would also say that that Fisher damper did not live well on the nose of the crank.  It ate the crank nose up and became loose in not too many miles.  I now use a BHJ made damper in the style of the original Hudson.
    Ivan

• Dang... This is the second comment about this damper failure @ 5,000rpm on this post. I would hate to be misrepresenting so I contacted Clifford asking again the nature of this damper. Again I was assured that the damper was fluid filled by the tech that answered my call, not plates and springs. Also told that the damper was for drag racing application only. So now I am perplexed having received two conflicting sources of information. The unit is built of billet steel, seeming difficult fitting any springs or plates inside. Anyhow, any more comments are quite welcome as again I do not want to misrepresent. I am taking this item off the block for now. Thanks sincerely for the comments.    -Shane
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression. The Clifford supplied damper that I used  and had trouble was not the same as what you are selling.  In the day (1994) Clifford was suppling dampers made by Fisher in Southern California.  They were not fluid dampers.
    I just wanted to set the Ken U-Tx story earlier straight.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Ivan, I wonder if the fluid dampener would allow you to run a higher rpm?