Ignition switch 53 Hornet

Well I final had a key made for my ignition switch only to find that the return spring is faulty. The unit is sealed and I do not know if the spring can be replaced. I may need to go with a after market switch.

JC 

Comments

• Sometimes the part that is troublesome is the plastic collar surrounding the ignition switch.  If you can possibly remove the switch, loosen up on the plastic collar by moving it slightly towards you. Replace the key in the switch and try it again.  Many times that will take care of the problem. If you need the switch replaced or rebuilt let me know. I can also cut keys to code.
  • Removed the plastic collar no difference in the result.
  • After additional examination it appears that the lock cylinder is catching on the edge of the switch body when you are in the start position. Next I will remove the lock set and see what I find.

JC
  • Doc, The plastic collar can inhibit the rotation of the key going to the start position. I never said that that was the sole cause of the problem.
  • Removed the key set and found a small bit of metal. I have no idea where it came from? After cleaning and lubricating the spring action is better but not a 100%. Time for a new switch

JC
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Lance to the white courtesy phone please.
  •    John , I'm happy to oblige!   Let me know fliptop.