A Blast from the PAST - HELLO!

2»

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Programming has been a good way to keep food on the table and a roof over my head, but due to wage cuts and the H1BVisa programs  I lucky to make < 50% of what I made 15 years ago.

I wouldn't even qualify today to get a loan on the house I'm currently living in.

It's a complete and utter lie that there's not qualified American Citizens to do high tech jobs..American colleges have been spitting out STEM degrees for 25+ years..I have one I got in 1996!

The issue is they industry won't pay the wages anymore when the government allows H1BVisas by the hudreds of thousands...and does NOTHING with Visa overstays.

Being a 55 yr old and I'm going to put it out there..."bit-over-weight", white, male programmer... I rarely get callbacks for 2nd interviews. 

I've got so much experience now I have to remove 1/2 of it and take the dates off of my resume just to even get a response as most jobs are looking for younger..with 4-6 years experience.

Anyways...off the Soapbox, and hoping this new venture pays off..it's certainly used every bit of my 20+ years of experience to pull off..we'll see how it goes!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    rambo:  I am no one’s expert on hiring practices.  But being the person I am, interviewing with a HR person who has zero interest in you or the company they work for is the ultimate crap shoot in my book.  So... at this juncture get with SCORE volunteers and figure out how to market yourself as a contractor.  Sell your time by the task not hour.  I created a company when I was 50 and sold my skills as well as others as contractors bidding jobs.  Got to do many things as my own boss and got paid reasonable dollars.  Good luck