One more time on the 16" wheels

dholck
dholck Expert Adviser
Still looking to figure out what the correct wheels were for 34 Terraplane K coupe with the optional 16" wheels.  I'm not sure why, since the closest I have gotten to finding any were 2 Hudson 16" wheels. BUT, in case I ever find any that anybody will sell, were they spoked like 17's, or the "artillery" style?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Wheels were optional wire or  steel, both 16" and 17" for  1934, so it's your choice.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Geoff; thanks very much.  I was going to get some of those new original-sized radials (Available in 16" and 17") and I just thought the 34 coupe would look better with the 16s. You'd think the 16" wheels  would not be so hard to find; as I mentioned, so far the closest I have come is 2 Hudson 16" wheels, which hopefully would take the Terraplane hubcap.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    AFAIK Terras and Hudsons mostly used the same wheel so T & H hubcaps will interchange. Vague memory says the wheels on the LWB Hudson may have been different.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I remember in my storage unit - not here at the house in SLC, UT I have some Hudson 8 artillery wheels from a 1934. I could go check if of interest and you think they would work. Gert Kristiansen.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    From the 1930-39 parts book,  # 43728 was used on 1933 K,KU,KT  as well as 1934 Terraplane K,KU   and 1934 Hudson LT,LS  This was a 16" wire wheel which was standard on th 33 KT optional on the K and KU.  This was the standard wire wheel on the LT and LTS Hudsons,  Optional for the 34 Terraplane  K,KU. Don't know if this helps, is a bit confusing!   

"Ric"
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    S.W.B. Hudsons, '34-'35 all have 4 bolt wheels, and are interchangeable with Terraplane. 
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    bob ward said:
    AFAIK Terras and Hudsons mostly used the same wheel so T & H hubcaps will interchange. Vague memory says the wheels on the LWB Hudson may have been different.

The LWB wheels are wooden spoked rims, can not remember if they were 5 stud though. I have  a feeling they were. Big steel centres.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    dholck said:
    Geoff; thanks very much.  I was going to get some of those new original-sized radials (Available in 16" and 17") and I just thought the 34 coupe would look better with the 16s. You'd think the 16" wheels  would not be so hard to find; as I mentioned, so far the closest I have come is 2 Hudson 16" wheels, which hopefully would take the Terraplane hubcap.
    Here in Australia the 1934 Terraplanes had 17" wire wheels, the 1935 had 16" wire wheels, The LWB models had 16" wooden wheels if I recall and 5 stud.
    I have restored both 1934 and 1935  here in Australia and yes the 16" wheels look much better than the 17". 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi Thee.

Trevor NZ here.  The radials I use here are Bridgestone duelers size 205 R 16 C.  We get them very cheap here they come on Toyota Hilux and similar Utes . Farmers take them off and put more aggressive tyres on them I use them on all my Terraplane and Hudson cars I don't even have to use a tube in them totally transforms the handling.  They are probably available in aussie as well.  I have brought for as low as $30.00 here

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    TKS Courtesy Man; from what I see from other online resources, the difference between the 34 Terraplane K 16" wheels (16X6.00 tires) and the Hudson 8 wheels is that the Hudson 8s had 16X6.25 and 16X6.5 tires.  Of course a major factor is the 4 bolt vs 5 bolt - Terraplane has 4-bolt.  
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    The 34 and 35 Hudson 8 coupes also have the 4 bolt rims. Trevor NZ
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    The 1934 H 8 wheels I have are 16 inch and 4 bolt artillery style. I know the cost of shipping would be a problem.   Also have 4 whitewall tires 6 x 16 that I don't need.  My email HETgtkristi@comcast.net          Thanks Gert (ghiet)