Where will the HET be in 50 years?

2»

Comments

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    edited January 2018
    They could  always re-print articles from George Schmidt also. It's ok if they recycle stuff from long ago, as there were lots of technical articles and writers then. Most members weren't on board in the 70's-80s', and those that were probably forgot.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Sorry to say I'll most likely be gone but I m instilling the love and fun of a Hudson in my daughter.
    In hopes she keep the club alive after I m gone anyone that has a Hudson should be doing the same for the club my two cents
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I'm hopeful for the future.  I'm 41,  with 3 school age kids at home and they prefer to ride in our 21 Hudson Speedster touring if it is above 60 degrees out and not raining ( we have been in both in the 21).  In inclimate weather,  they prefer the 50 Pacemaker or 66 international Travelall.   Last choice in good weather is the loaded 05 King Ranch.  I have tried to make it fun and keep them involved.  I hope that they learn to fix and keep these cars to enjoy them.  I love them because of the fun times I had as a kid in dad's Hudsons.  We go to soccer, school, shopping , for ice cream etc.  My 12 year old old daughter drove the 21 around last fall and had a blast.   All
    my nephews have driven grandpas 50 Pacemaker.  My kids are already excited about the national in Wisconsin to explore that state and visit the friends we've made in the club.  

Aside from that ,  I see more general interest in hand made craftsmanship which includes our beloved Hudsons.  Events like TROG have brought Detroit Steel back into mainstream .  It's not for everyone but there is a culture that is embracing it.  Modifications are more common,  and will continue to increase as people are scared of old technology.   The HET club will have to evolve to support the needs of Hudson owners,  but there is no reason it can't survive.   Not every car will remain as they left the factory, but they will be driven and enjoyed.  

There is a demand for "people that can fix things",  and channels that support that. 

Matt 
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited January 2018
    I too think a merging of the independents will become a reality as less and less people get into the hobby. Also agree that the SDC has done some very good things with their publication. I always read the tech section because of the tech questions and answers. Wish the  WTN would do this as a lot has changed since the original manuals were printed. We are losing a lot of Hudson expertise and advice. This forum is a definate help, I'd be lost without it. Hudson sites like the one Ken Cates has is an example of something I'd like to see the club sponser and add to. Also almost forgot, the club library work that Alex Burr has done is a big help to all. 
    I also think some restoration manuals starting with the stepdown years would be a worthy project. Some years ago when I helped our son restore a mustang, using a mustang restoration manual was invaluable for the build.