Manifold studs

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Where can I find the studs that are used to attach the manifold to the block of a 262 engine.  Several of the nuts are stuck to the studs and when I removed the manifold, studs and nuts came out.  Rather than trying to separate the nuts fromthe studs I would just as soon replace them with new ones   

Comments

• Since the studs came off of the block, you could take them with you to an auto parts place and try to match to ones they have in stock.  

I don't know much about studs/sizes, or where to get them.  So when I needed one on my exhaust manifold, my dad's machinist friend made one from scratch for me... LOL.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Amazon has them
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I saw that Amazon had manifold studs, but I wasn’t able to figure out if what was pictured was the correct length and or thread size. 
  • Jason, How many do you need?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I should known that you probably have them Lance,  I picked up two from NAPA that was in in their miscellaneous cabinet that are the right size for the center studs.  I also purchased a pack studs from the shelves that are the right diameter and thread size but the length is longer than I like.  When the snow lets up I’m going down to the garage and see if they will work.  Is is snowing down there?
  • Not yet Jason, just a light sleet/rain mix. Oh well it could be a lot worse. 
  • I used the ARP kit for header studs on a Chrysler engine (ARP 245-1301) on my 1951 262. I replaced the 12-pt nuts in the kit with fine-thread hex nuts (a change that is necessary to torque the manifolds down).  The kit has two lengths of studs that if wisely located work out great (long studs on top, short studs on bottom). The studs are course thread on one side for the engine block and fine thread going into the manifolds. A few studs will be left over. The hardness of the ARP stud and round tips make it much less likely that you will cross-thread when installing the manifolds. Good luck.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Lance, the studs I bought from NAPA are too long.  I need four if they are in decent shape.  
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    You want Dorman 675-101  Box of 10 at 13.32 from Amazon
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks Larry, I think I will go that route.  Lance, ignore my last request.  I haven’t forgot our last conversation. If sleeving the Twin H doesn’t solve my exhaust problem, I’ll probably get back in touch with you.