Hello, New Hudson Owner

Hello All,

My Name is John, I am from Canada Ehh and I Just bought a 1951 Hudson Hornet Hollywood Coupe.  It is in really rough shape (Most all the frame is rotted out) but as my first OLD car I figure why not go big. 

I typically have built GM metric cars (an 81 malibu coupe and an 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe) but I have always wanted a Hudson 2dr.  

The plans for this car are to make it into a pro-touring (functional not show car look) road rally car.  I can attach an image later that I drew a while ago.  

So I have a lot of work ahead of me and I look forward to talking and working with the group as this project progresses.

Thank you,
John

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    John, welcome aboard!   Pictures of your project??
  • Hello John and Welcome to the forum and to Hudson ownership. Sounds like you have taken on a big project. Love to see some pictures. Many here are very knowledgeable and will be of great help as you move along.   
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Go to my web page for information on frame and body repair. 
    http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2017
    Welcome to the Forum, John.  I'm not sure if you're acquainted with the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club (which sponsors and maintains this forum) but if you intend to hold onto that Hornet you might want to consider joining.  The webpage is at https://www.hetclub.org/.  We have two Canadian chapters.

There are certainly ways to repair rust in a StepDown frame, although life can be a lot easier if you pay a bit more and purchase a Hudson without rust problems to begin with!

Before you start updating components, remember that these cars were driven every day when new, and driven fast, and driven long distances.  Most of us with Hudsons have restored our original drive trains and driven them long distances, with no problems.  Anyway, do ask plenty of questions, as the members of this forum have plenty of experience with Hudsons and are happy to share their information!
  • Troubled81
    Troubled81 Member
    edited December 2017
    Before I bought the Hollywood Hard top this is what I sketched.  
    And that is the actual car 
  • How are you at rust repair?  Looks like a lot...

Where in Canada are you located?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    John, nice sketch!
    Yes, looks like you will have a lot of rust repair to do. Take a look at Ken Cates website for some info.
  • Troubled81
    Troubled81 Member
    edited December 2017
    Well I have a plasma cutter and welder so I have the tools.... But I have never done anything like this...  Typically I build race cars.

I am outside of Windsor.  Oldfarmer1947 thank you for the information that will be very helpful.

Jon B I have to say that I am SUPER impressed with what Hudson built here.  It is actually very advanced suspension for its time ( I am now not surprised that they owned racing in the early 50's.) and I am a little sad it will not work with my plans.

I also promise that an LS swap is not in the plans.
  • KustomKreeps
    KustomKreeps Member
    edited December 2017
    Best of luck man it could be pretty cool im thinking.
    I see you have a cool sketch but there is also a website that might fill in a few mins.
    http://www.3dtuning.com/en-US/tuning/hudson/hornet/coupe.1952
    Will let you lower the car, paint, tint, wheels, scoops, spoilers etc etc.

So what are you thinking of putting in the old beast if not a LS. Seen caddy 500s, Buick GNS turbos, Big/Small block chevies, Ford flatheads, Buick Nailheads all fit up under the big ol hood.

Dont forget to do a build thread. I will follow along.
  • I like the looks of a Hardtop Hudson, Good luck with your project, it is better condition than the one I started with, I think it can be repaired, Here's a link to my build thread. https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/168295/51-hornet-project-with-pictures/p1
  • triman62 that gives me hope.

thank you for the share!

KustomKreeps I am going to keep quite on the motor for now but I promise to start a build thread for all too follow along with this build.