Heater/Defroster Switch Help please!!

The heat/Defrost switch in my 39 is extremely loose. It goes around in a full circle and I don't believe it is making contact for voltage to go out to the heater itself as I show no voltage at the heater. Also the light stays on constantly.  I believe the switch itself is broken in the body somewhere. How do I remove it? I will attach a picture of it here.

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Val,

Ever so gently pull the plastic knob down and off, it may have an inner tab for alignment but you mentioned that it turns full circle so maybe the tab has worn down.  Once removed you can remove the light bulb and then have access to the nut that secures the switch to the dash.  I would disconnect the battery so that you don't short anything out while working on it.  Carefully inspect the switch to see what's not rotating.  It may just need a tiny bit of lubrication where it rotates.  It could also be that the plastic knob is not fitting tight enough to rotate the switch.

Hope this helps.

John Forkner

• Thank you John, I will do just that and see what I can discover. Doctor Doug said if it is broke he will check if he has one that will allow me to keep my original knob. I will get back to you  later via this post 
  • John This is what I see when I remove the bulb. image
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Val,

It's not a clear enough picture to give you further advice.  Does it look like there is a knurled ring in there that you could unscrew with needle nose pliers?

If you are using your IPhone to take pictures try using your finger to tap the portion of the screen that has the switch in view, that should focus on that selected portion of the screen.  You might be too close also.

Get back to me.

John

• Hello John I got it! Its all tightened up but still a no go on the fan so I think the switch is bad. But thanks for all your help. It was a spanner like nut that I used a screwdriver to turn and tighten. So I know how its done know. Thanks again

Vic
  • Ok after testing I have determined the switch to be bad. No power going out to the heater. The good folks at Wildrick's sent me another one. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know how that works out.  
  • I have received the switch from Doug today. I am confident the good doctor can help me but incase this switch doesn't  work out ( its a 2 position mine is a 4) is there anyone that may have a switch like mine or know where I can get one?
  • This is what it looks like image