Engine/transmission ID

Attacked are the serial numbers from my hornet body,engine, tranny. Doing the research pretty confident the body and chassis are a 54 from july. Cant find anything about engine and tranny numbers. I assume they are the same as the body but engine has a set on the bottom left below the genny that says 10-6-52 and above the distributer are the rest of the sn. From the list used to id the body it doesnt show a hornet  from 50 to 54 coming with a 262 only jets super wasp and commodore knowing the eng/tranny is a must so i get the correct parts. Any ideas????

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Are you sure it is a 262, and not a 308 with a 262 head?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Go to my website, under Engines the information is posted there.  Looking at what you posted, probably a 1952/262 Engine.   No bottom rib on block, definitely not a 308.  Serial numbers for installation that match body tag are stamped into block at front top of block below head, left side.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    304299 is a 1951-1953 casting for the 232- 262  your casting date indicates it was cast for the 1953 model year. The only difference between 232 and 262 is the stroke made possible by a different crankshaft.   Don't know what else you need. 
    Have fun! 
  • Ric West IN
    Oops, forgot that the 232 has different pin height pistons, same bore but different pin location.  Best bet though is this is a 262.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Probably the car at one time blew engine and was replaced with a 52 engine? because hydra matic is a h52 .The 54 hydra matic tranny number is H 54 Ray
  • Would this make a difference in the distributor and all ignition components??? Maybe im putting the wrong cap rotor coil etc and thats why i get no ignition
  • Ric West IN
    Ignition components are the same, 51-56 for the six.