Window Adjustment

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
I'm encountering just a little too much contact between the front window glass and the fuzzy belt moulding that runs along the bottom of the window opening. The glass is tending to push the belt moulding up and work it loose when the window is cranked upward. Is there any way to adjust the window's angle within the door? It rolls up and down freely without the belt moulding in place.

Peter Sefton
Alexandria, VA

Comments

• There should be a adjustment on the bottom of the window track rails
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    interesting! By the rails, do you mean the long vertical channels that the glass rides up and down in?  I'm thinking it is a srew and not a nut.

Peter S.
  • Rails, tracks, channels. Is the window hitting the outside or inside sweep? Adjusting the bottom of the window channel in or out will align the top of the channel in or out. If the window is hitting the outside sweep, adjust the bottom of the channel(s) outward. If the window is hitting the inside sweep, adjust the bottom of the channel(s) inward.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    hmmm - looked inside the door - which is the driver's front on a 1951  Commodore 4 Dr. The excessive rub is on the outside sweep.

The glass channel that runs along the door's rear side and upper edge of the window opening lies in a metal guide inside the door shell. This guide attaches to the rear side of the door and the inner side of the door shell with screws that don't seem to have any adjustment.

The front edge of the glass rides in a channel in the vent window divider bar. The bar attaches to the inner side of the door with an upper and lower screw. About the only possible adjustment would be to tilt glass outward by putting a washer between the channel and the upper screw or inward by putting a washer between the lower screw and its mounting bracket on the inside of the door.

Does this sound like it might be the right way to go?

Peter S.
  • ALBrad
    ALBrad Member
    edited December 2017

If it's rubbing on the outside sweep, I'd push the bottom of the track outward, thus bringing the top inboard. I haven't seen the setup on a 51, but adding a washer or two would make sense if there isn't another adjustment option. You may need to elongate the bolt hole on the back of the door to allow for movement outboard.

Interesting that it's off enough to hit if there aren't actual adjustment variables. Do you have access to a FSM to look at the window R&R section?